Starboard engine starting issues

RYE

Having an intermittent issue with my starboard engine starting could use suggestions with. Just every so often when I turn the key over for starboard motor, a 351 Volvo, it acts like there is no juice. Jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and it fires right up and runs like it should. This is an intermittent problem at best, may turn over 20 times with no problem, 21 time no go. I have had Starter solenoid replaced with no solve. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If it starts by bypassing the start section of the solinoid, check the voltage at the little wire or post, should be no less than 2/10th of a volt difference from battery voltage to start wire. A solinoid takes a full 12 volts at the start term to pull in the sol. If that checks out it could be an ignition problem not sending the 12v. to the sol. Being its so intermittent that this will be a tuff one. Good luck with it!!! PAP

Thanks again Pap for your response, problem solved it was a tranny nuetral safety switch.

You are very welcome, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. Glad you were able to find the problem fast.