Walleye Fillets

While I agree that the smaller walleyes are definitly the best "eaters", there are ways to make even the big ones very palletable. We keep some late summer eyes from the eastern basin of Erie.. where you have no choice but to keep 8 pounders or better.. that's all you catch. A couple of things I've learned make a huge difference in the taste of these brutes. The first thing I do is bleed the fish out by slicing the section between the gills.. then I throw it in the livewell for 15-20 minutes.. then into the ice cooler. This not only enhances the taste, but makes cleaning much less messy! After filleting the fish.. I "zipper" the fillets. This removes the dark strip and "nubs" from the ribs. To do this.. I lay the fillet skin side up.. then I make a cut a few inches long at the tail section on each side of the dark line. Then.. placing my hand over the cut and holding down on the top of the fillet.. I basically "tear" the bottom half of the fillet away from the center strip. I then move my hand up above the dark strip.. grab the end of it and pull it upwards to the head end of the fillet.. like pulling up a zipper! I end up with 4 fillets that have no blood or dark meat! I may have made this sound difficult, but it's really not. With practice.. it only adds probably 15 seconds to the process. Oh.. and don't forget the cheeks! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Hey Sluggo.....how about putting on a workshop?? I'd pay money! LOL Sounds like you've got it down to a science. I'm absolutely going to try your techniques with my next catch. BTW....anything happening down your way yet? It's still on my radar for a jaunt later in the season. My home water has been kinder to me so far this year compared to last so I've been keeping it local....for now.

Later

Hi Bob... Meet me out in Barcelona in July and I'll be happy to show you my technique! As for my local waters.. it's strictly a fall/winter spot for me. I put the "little" boat away in March and rarely get it back out till November. Still a bit early for eastern Erie.. but won't be too long! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)