Pro/Am dates

Without getting crtisized, there was a lot of talk in Olcott about the size of fish being cought. Here is my $.02. I asked this question on the another post earlier. The dates for this years pro/am was the first week end in June and 2nd week end in June. Then it goes all the way until the middle of July.

Why not run the Niagara Pro/Am more toward the middle of June and the Orleans the end of June? With the gas prices and weather conditions it seems to me you would not have to travel to the Bar to get your fish and you would have a better chance of larger fish. Also the weather, no guarantees, should be better then what we get in May which would allow the smaller AM boats to get into deeper water. This just my thoughts from what I heard this week end.

shade i haven't fished these tournaments for a long time but some of the pros that i have talked with said this was the first year where there seemed to be an abundent of salmon around the area. i looked a back through the last 4 years of compitition and if you limited out both days you were garrenteed to be in the top ten. This year just seemed to be a great but very unusual year.

Another fact to keep in mind is if you had the tournaments at the end of the month they would basicaly be 4 tourny's one weekend after another and it would be hard for many of the teams to compete in all the tournys due to work conflict.

just my .02 cents

HI Howie,

The biggest hitch in that idea is dock availability in Olcott and Wilson. The ONLY reason we can even put tournament boats in Wilson is because of the time frame. Wilson is largely a "blow boat" harbor with lots of "yachters" that normally don't put their boats in until after Memorial Day. Trying to have a tournament in late June, July or August would simply leave us with no docks for out of town boats.

Also, having a tournament later in June would leave us with another problem---VERY few fish. June is a big transition month and the fishing can really suck. Lots of guys are complaining about fishing the Niagara tournament last weekend and catching too many fish. How much complaining would we hear if NO fish were caught?

Like I said I should mind my own business. The talk was not the amount of fish but the size and the travel vs. gas cost and you will probably hear more on this subject in the future. This was just some suggeations from Olcott.