I need a clamp-on downrigger mount for a utility boat

Back in the 80's I outfitted my 12 foot row boat with a 2×10 screwed between the transom and sidewall at the stern. Had a cannon east troll mounted and it caught fish. Looking back I came close to swimming a few times trolling in a small shallow boat. Boat I was a dumb poor tenager..

Edited by hairbone

Back in the 80's I outfitted my 12 foot row boat with a 2×10 screwed between the transom and sidewall at the stern. Had a cannon east troll mounted and it caught fish. Looking back I came close to swimming a few times trolling in a small shallow boat. Boat I was a dumb poor tenager..

I hear ya, and I don't take my 16ft row boat on Lake O. I use it on smaller inland lakes that are deep enough to hold various trout and salmon species. Most of the time we troll dipsy divers but I want to add the option of using a downrigger as well. My 16ft boat is wide and stable, and it's a huge improvement over my 13-6 rowboat.

• 2 weeks later...

You could mount a board across the center of your boat. I have a friend who has that set up and he fishes 2 manual riggers by himself in a 16ft aluminum boat. My choice would be to mount an aluminum plate to your back bench and add an aluminum riser to it (square aluminum tube welded to flat plate at the top and bottom with the hole pattern you need for your rigger). Just some thoughts. Always fun to figure this stuff out. Personally I never trust a clamp. If you can make it more permanent, that would be better.

Draw me a sketch of what you want and I'll make it for you in my shop.

Where are you located? Aluminum? My Penn riggers have 4ft booms, and I only use 10lb weights. I'll try to draw a sketch this weekend. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

After much searching the internet looking for ideas that best fit my needs, I settled on a product that another LOU member mentioned in a post, back in 2011 I think. It's called Eagle Feet by T and L products. They are sold as a pair, and you mount one on each side of the boat, then mount a board across them. This gives me the flexibility to mount it where ever I need to, without any permanent attachments. Here is a picture of what it looks like in case someone else has the same need sometime in the future.

post-142578-0-51367300-1457949643_thumb.jpg

Draw me a sketch of what you want and I'll make it for you in my shop.

Just wanted to say thanks for the kind offer. I settled on this Eagle Feet mount instead of trying to fabricate one. Have a great fishing season in 2016!