Chataqua fishing info

I am going to chataqua in mid June

. I have never fished there. I would like info on types of lures, trolling speeds and depths, I am used to fishing West  Branch reservoir in Ohio wish is a very shallow muddy lake. Do I want to relate to weed or is deep open water better. I am staying at Pine Hill to give you an idea of what part of the lake I will be on,

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I would guess that you have looked at a map and know the layout of the lake. The north end is deeper and clearer, while the south end is shallower and more stained water. Muskies could be anywhere at chq. Shallow related to weeds, suspended over open water, and in between. It will be a matter of finding the pattern that works best for you at the particular time you are there. I think trolling open water is easiest, but it can be tough if you aren't confident in what you are doing.

Ive fished both west branch and chq since 1998. The trolling techniques and shad style baits you probably run at west branch in the summer should also work well at chq. I like to troll on the faster side (4-5mph) but you can catch fish slower if that's what you are more comfortable with.

My experiences are relatively limited but I've got a few in the deeper North end in shallow and out deeper casting with pull baits and jerk baits. Like Treple-D and 4 Play Liplure. Seen I'm bite from 5 to " 35'. Wherever the perch are.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the replys. In terms of trolling open water, do you look for bait? And if you do do you want your lures above , in , or below the bait? How far back should you troll with a deeper diver like a tough shad? How deep of water should you be in ? I am guessing that perch is a main forage from NPikes comment. Are perch colors a good ticket. Deep water trolling is a new concept but my friend who recently passed away always talked about it but I did not have a chance to learn it from him.

Thanks in advance

del 3409

Yes. You should look for bait and hooks on your graph when trolling open water.

As far as water depth, depth of bait in the water column, lure depth, etc...nobody can really tell you what that is going to be this coming June. You could be catching fish 15' down over 35' of water in the north end or 5' down on a weed edge in the south end. Thats why i fish...to figure that stuff out, and be able to catch fish. I trust my graph and target depths I'm seeing the majority of marks. Based on the time if year, you will be between spawn and summer periods. I wouldnt expect the water to be too hot and stuff be set up too deep yet.

Learn the depths your baits run too, so you can target depths of stuff you mark. For example, a 5" plastic Tuff Shad that you referenced, should run about 10' down on 30' line. Depends on line, speed, rod angle, etc

Good luck. Chautauqua is usually pretty good. You should like it.