Thumping rod?

I saw a post refering to a thumping rod. What is that and how do you "thump"? Out here in NH we "yank" for lakers and you feel the leadcore thumping the bottom. Is that the same as what you guys are talking about?

I haven't fished Ontario since the early 90"s, been saltwater fishing since then. Now the salt boat is sold and I'm reverting back to my roots, but it looks like I have some catching up to do.

I hope to get out there soon for some fishing on the eastern side. Nothing like a King in the open lake.

Looks like the avg size fish has gone down for the kings.

Do you still run close to the ball? I heard the water cleared up a bit since I fished it and you fish differently than the ways of old. any insight on general rules of thumb for todays conditions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Spike

Welcome to LOU !

I run a thumper rod often and on certain days it will out fish everything else.

It consists of a wire line rod, and lead weights are the staple of the dodger/fly system... we often use 16 oz. weights. Your rod should have a soft enough action so that you can "read" the movement of the rod at different speeds. This allows you to judge when your dodger has the right action, then it can be duplicated over and over when fish bite. Dodgers are best for a thumper rod, as they are much easier to read then flashers are for this type of a rig.

Basically, I run a three way swivel at the end of the wire line. I attach the lead to one and run a leader to the dodger/fly from the other.

This is normally a tail gunner....run down the chute. "If" you can run it @ a 45 degree angle, It's a little easier to read the action of the rod.