Planner board set ups

stoneam2006

So I am looking at putting big boards on my boat over the winter was so seeing if you guys could post some pics of your set ups. Reel location pull location ect. I'd like to put my reels on hard top by the rocket launcher. Has a pully on each side mounted to hard top now.

Will I need a mast up front?

Then line would go from reel to mast back to the back deck with a retrieval cord?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.c353032fd8c8932ba773484017c1257a.JPG

This setup has worked good for me

Just make sure you can reach your reels comfortably to retrieve your boards

and use a tether line to pull your board line to you so you're not reaching out too far to attach your releases 

IMG_0492.thumb.JPG.c353032fd8c8932ba773484017c1257a.JPG

This setup has worked good for me
Just make sure you can reach your reels comfortably to retrieve your boards
and use a tether line to pull your board line to you so you're not reaching out too far to attach your releases 

So you only go to front of hard top?

Aaron, yes you only need to go to front of the hardtop. But also use a retrieving rope, like on downriggers. Do you have boards yet? I will give you the wooden ones I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Aaron, yes you only need to go to front of the hardtop. But also use a retrieving rope, like on downriggers. Do you have boards yet? I will give you the wooden ones I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Thanks Red!!! I think that's how the guy had it rigged before as the pullies are still there just wanted to double check.

I wouldn't put them up like that. If you put the pulley on the back of the top and reels below them you won't need a rope and well be a lot easier to reel them in and out out 
Ahh I see what your saying...basically make the back of the top the furthest forward point then reels down a bit so can just reach up to hook lines? Any downsides to that?

Not that I know of it's how my boat is and most that I see I can show you my buddy 23' penyan Sunday it's set up like I'm talking.

If you already have pullies in front I would just use them I just don't like the rope you can use a boat hook just put the reels low so you don't fall out of the in rough conditions.

Not that I know of it's how my boat is and most that I see I can show you my buddy 23' penyan Sunday it's set up like I'm talking.
If you already have pullies in front I would just use them I just don't like the rope you can use a boat hook just put the reels low so you don't fall out of the in rough conditions.
I look forward to it Sunday and seeing everyone's set ups so if anyone sees me taking some pics don't be alarmed lol.

Aaron, this is a great way to run lures especially if you want to run heavy equipment. This year I found myself going the other way with inlines, LOL but for next year I'll have both ways available, for differant species, differant plans of attack are used. The way I put mine up were on poles that I made to accept the wheels on top and drilled holes at comfort levels for me to wind them in, my boards pulled so hard I needed to tie them together with a piece of 1-1/2" H channel, as soon as I get one out say 20ft I deploy the other and then the boards are fighting each other and makes for a steady pole on each side. Best of luck to you I'm sure once it's all set up you'll enjoy running big boards.

Aaron, this is a great way to run lures especially if you want to run heavy equipment. This year I found myself going the other way with inlines, LOL but for next year I'll have both ways available, for differant species, differant plans of attack are used. The way I put mine up were on poles that I made to accept the wheels on top and drilled holes at comfort levels for me to wind them in, my boards pulled so hard I needed to tie them together with a piece of 1-1/2" H channel, as soon as I get one out say 20ft I deploy the other and then the boards are fighting each other and makes for a steady pole on each side. Best of luck to you I'm sure once it's all set up you'll enjoy running big boards.
Thanks i have inlines I run now but would like the option. I ran the big boards for eyes on Erie with JIm S and it was a fun way to fish. It's just more options lol.