Talora Rods

I’m looking at purchasing a couple Shimano Talora Rods. I want to use them for running wire for Dipsys and planer boards I was wondering if I can use the wire rods for both applications without having any trouble? I’m looking at the 8 foot TLA80MRG2 wirer rods. I would change out the Tips to a torpedo swivel tip as well.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We had issues with the swivel tips, with line getting pinched in them if you didn't set them perfectly. Also, IMHO you don't need wire rods per se, simply use the "regular" Talora with a Twili tip glued in place of the top guide. It's worked for us for better than ten years and it's idiot-proof, which is great because we're not known for being the sharpest tools in the shed, and it's cheaper by far than the wire rod/torpedo tip combo.

As for running planer boards, I'd not recommend it on wire, although we run copper off the boards...honestly, never tried wire I guess. You really want to avoid kinking wire though, and if you let it loose at all it'll coil up and twist on you, then you'll have a heck of a mess. So take the money you save on the wire rod and purchase a Talora planer board rod, or just do double duty with a 7' downrigger rod like we do.

• Like 1