45-70

Have to agree with Kevin. Knew someone that bow hunted with his bow at 90lb draw, 450grain arrow, 150 grain broadhead and asked me my thoughts after he showed it to me, I asked Why??? He said cause I’m in a thicket. Well he learned, a branch is a branch, effects the trajectory no matter what size/ speed you throw at it. You risk so much and owe it to the animal for a clean kill. Raise your hand if a sampling ever got in the way of your slug..... and you didn’t get the deer...... all in all get the gun for tradition or for pleasure, just don’t have over expectations of it and by all means as already mentioned be safe and have a clear shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

All said and done everyone hunts in different situations, what might be thick to some might be nothing to another, in our neck of the woods you hunt where the deer are, identifying good shot placement and of course the target first should be upmost important!! We don’t have much standing timber trees,  these scrub oaks that we hunt if your a chaser don’t even take your gun. Let the standers do their job. There are reasons why the deer are in these thick pieces, 1 there’s millions of acorns and concealment, most of our guys me included are on much higher grounds or in stands so identifying your target is easy if you were eye to eye there’s no way you can make out what your seeing or hearing. These guns are called brush guns for a reason, yes we have guys who shoot deer with the 30/06 nothing less on these hunts which we usually wait till the second week of the season to hunt this area. They put Dave with his 45/70 in one spot, and me in another spot, 35 Whelen shooting a 200gr Hornedy pills, Billy with a 444 lever action which is what all the guys have except me mine’s a pump, we knock some critters together with our big bore rifles. I couldn’t agree more with your concerns but our method has been this way since my grandfathers days. If any part of this was to cause concerns with safety I’d be the first to say there ain’t no deer worth someone’s well being!! That’s where I draw the line.  Hunting season is over!! Let’s fish:yes: :yes:

Dylan, I have the Marlin in 45-70. Awesome rifle. As far as shooting deer, it doesn't do any more damage than my 12ga, 30-06, or .50 cal. Shoot them in the shoulder and you do damage, through the ribs and you waste less.

I handload for it. Lighter bullets, higher power rounds and it shoots about an inch at 100 yds and the recoil is less than my slug gun. The recoil is different than my 06 or slug gun and is more manageable than guys would think. Do a Sims custom fit pad and you will be happy.

With just factory loads, it is comparable to a slug. 

Last I looked, the Marlin would be the better choice if you might handload. I think it was a stronger action than the Henry. There is different pressure tolerances between different actions and ages of rifles. That is why most factory ammo is lower pressure to be acceptable in most good condition rifles.

• Like 1

I was loading the Remington 300gr JHP bullets. They shot very well and killed every deer I've shot with them. But...blood trail was real weak on a few occasions and I decided when I need to buy more bullets, I was going to try something different.

By real weak, I mean a drop or 2 of blood in 80 or 90 yards but most of the time I could see them go down or have a good Idea where they are anyways.

This could also be my problem too, I usually don't shoot very low on the chest either. But the other half that I've shot drop or make a bound and drop. I'm sure it depends on what bones I hit but it seems that the rib shots tend to run further with much less blood.

Looking at reviews, I might try the Barnes or the Silvertips next. Most likely the Silvertips.

I love my 1895GS and I'm so glad I bought it before the prices went up $300!

• Like 1

I shot a coyote last year which spooked some deer on me with Hornady 325 grain lever revolution.  Hit him behind the shoulder leaving a small hole on both sides.  Was hoping for more damage.  That's why I'm going to try the barnes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Like some have said, there is no good brush gun. The best way to get through brush, on a standing deer, is to thread the needle through a hole in the brush which can only be done with a MOA capable scoped rifle. A 45/70 is just up from a 12 ga slug gun as far as range. They do less meat damage than a high velocity .243, or .270, and the .243 will ruin more meat than the .270. But, they are neat guns, and certainly nice to have in any collection, but don't get pie in the sky hopes up for performance.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app