RUNNING J PLUGS

I here some guys talking about running j plugs just of the mouth of the river, ??, Would you run them of the rigger down just a few feet or would you flatline, also shoud you run any flashers when flatlining??? I tried runnng in close with just j plugs and wasted a few hours.

Both...

I seemed to notice a number 4 J will dive a good 5 feet past where your downrigger counter supposedly says it is...So, putting it down 3 back 45-55' should put your lure down 8' feet or so...Try and set up a spread to cover the whole water column while keeping in mind these things diver and wobble all over...When and if you do catch bottom remember the lead length, speed, and depth of rigger to figure your own dive formula for J's...

Top line back 100' or so gets you 5 feet down...Next J down 3 back 50, 8 down...Next J 8' down back 50 your down 12 or so...Last J down 10-11' back 50, your down 15-16' and this is pretty much the exact program I use trolling J's and I rarely go over 20-25 feet of water and this spread's got it covered...

So, in a nut-shell take into account the diving factors of the J and set a spread to cover the whole column while keeping them away from each other as they do wander...

If you want to run a flasher put it on a diver out 25-45' and make sure that drag is lose...

Good Luck...

ECARTER, don't misinterpret what some are saying about running J's at the river mouth. J's can take targets thru the year starting in spring thru summer as well. When some, myself included, say to run J's at the river mouth, again these kings are hitting out of aggression. They need to be pulled at a rate that provides an errartic action to them. So after one try don't give up. As mentioned, they do dive on their own. I have found the number given to be close. In relatively shallow water 2 off riggers set accordingly and 2 flat lining.A little deeper, you could try one off a diver. So don't limit yourself to just one technique. However the depth of water and boat traffic as well could at times-Duane