New Boat trailer Question

jigstick

The trailer that came with my boat was in bad shape when I got it.  I replaced all the brake lines, wheel cylinders, and bearing buddys.  One bunk as well.  It does the job but the fenders have significant rust despite sanding and repainting.  I feel for the most part it is structurally sound, but I have this gut feeling that I can't get past.  Id like to get a new one.

My boat is a Bayliner 2252 Express Cruiser.  Ill try and post some pictures.  My question for you guys is this.  When you purchase / order a new boat trailer, how do you know what bunk setup to go with?  How do you inform the builder where you want the bunks?  How far apart they need to be to miss any hull strakes?  

My current trailer has 4 bunks, and they are spaced so they just miss the strakes.  Do you just purchase a trailer based on the weight of the boat?  And have the dealer set up the bunks when you go to load the boat the first time?

Doug

GXebo6N.jpg

Edited by jigstick

Depending on what dealer you go with, they’ll know the model to target based on your gross weight of the boat and gear. If your trading the trailer in they will match up the bunks the day you do the swap. Might take a couple of attempts but they usually get it close. Just keep your eyes on transducers etc with bunks if the tongue / winch is up a little farther on the new trailer. You don’t want to break anything off. You’ll feel a lot better with a newer trailer and will look back at it as not a big deal getting it set up. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United