keuka lake trout

;( My dad and i have just recently started getting into the whole trolling for trout. it's a blast!! We have been having a lot of luck with lake trout on the east side of the bluff in about 125 to 145 feet of water for the last couple of months, but now we are having a tough time catching any. I'm not sure where they went, i know the water temp is alot cooler now than it was when we were killing them. Like i said i'm a rookie at this and would love some tips and know how. thanks

time of day, wind, weather conditions, etc., all have a part to play too. If you haven't already, try keeping a fishing log. Write down date, time, weather, water temp, location, techniques used, results, etc. and then you can refer back to what was working and what wasn't.

As for right now, like Jason said, I think if you try shallower you'll be in good shape. If you start shallow early (6 - 8AM) in 30-50 ft of water, then move out as the day goes on, you should have luck. We've had luck in all ranges, but 50-75 ft seems to be pretty productive right now.

Also, try fishing points, drop-offs and stream inlets, and they'll probably be there in greater numbers.

Welcome to the site - good luck and let us know how you do!

Mike,

I mostly fish Keuka but stay in the Branchport side. I haven't ventured too far from the state park this past weekend and weekend before that. I've been trolling from the state park launch and head south about one mile. I turn around and troll back to the state park. I vary my depth from about 80 FOW to 140 FOW. I've been marking tons of fish and tons of bait 40 feet to 60 feet down. The wire dipsy divers with J9 or F9 Rapals have been the ticket for me. I set them out 100 feet to 200 feet. I figure what the fish want and go from there. I fish solo and lately I have been very busy bringing in fish and setting rods. I have seen a lot of boats going south in the morning, I'm not sure how they are doing but the fishing has been great where I am.

Mike

Wow, thanks alot to all you guys for the info, I have tried fishing in the 40 to 60 foot range with not much luck but i'm also not near any drop offs or points. Like i said we were killin them just useing a couple of seth green rigs with some sutton spoons, but the water cooled down and bang hardly catching any. I try some other spots and use your guys ideas and let you all know how i make out, not sure if i'll make out this weekend or not might half to shoot the big buck instead. lol thanks alot and good luck..

Mike,

I mostly fish Keuka but stay in the Branchport side. I haven't ventured too far from the state park this past weekend and weekend before that. I've been trolling from the state park launch and head south about one mile. I turn around and troll back to the state park. I vary my depth from about 80 FOW to 140 FOW. I've been marking tons of fish and tons of bait 40 feet to 60 feet down. The wire dipsy divers with J9 or F9 Rapals have been the ticket for me. I set them out 100 feet to 200 feet. I figure what the fish want and go from there. I fish solo and lately I have been very busy bringing in fish and setting rods. I have seen a lot of boats going south in the morning, I'm not sure how they are doing but the fishing has been great where I am.

Mike

:P