Seneca Seneca 4/18/19

Went out of Watkins Glen and  we got on the lake around 10 a.m., hoping the  south wind wasn't going to be as bad as it was.  One mile out the lake was full of sheep so i went on a joy ride and practiced my seamanship for a while on the white caps and after a few hours the wind finally settled down enough to drag a few lines close to shore.  Went 1 for 3 on landlocked salmon.  All small fish, nothing picture worthy.. Nice to have a day off and get out on the water after a long winter.

• 3 weeks later...

what is the best wind direction for fishing Seneca Lake?  I have a 17.5 starcraft and haven't been able to  get out onto Lake Ontario.  So thinking maybe Seneca.  I just don't want to have white caps.  thanks

In my experience it really depends on where you are fishing out of.   Anything over 15  mph will create whitecaps.  A 15  mph wind straight form  the south can create monster waves in Geneva, and a 15 mph north wind does the same for the south end.  That same wind form the east or west - you could still fish close to the lee shore - you'll get bounced around a little but too bad in a 17 1/2 ft aluminum boat.  Under 10  mph from any direction you should be fine.  Seneca can serve up some misery when strong cold fronts pass through., especially if your a few miles out - the waves can come up quick and make for a long wet ride - in my younger years I found out the hard way.  Good luck and tight lines!

• 3 weeks later...