new boat

FREEMAN77

As the owner of a 24' Thompson Hardtop, let me say that they area GREAT platform to fish from, however, Thompson had some quality control issues for a number of years before they finally went belly up. Rotten stringers are fiarly common.

Before you buy it, make sure you get it surveyed. I didn't before I bought mine and ended up replaceing the floor, stringers, motor bunks and transom. it is solid as a rock now, but it hurt losing the entire summer of 2003 while it was being rebuilt.

I have the 230 MR Merc I/O in mine (5.0L V8) and don't have a kicker on it, mainly because it has a full width teak swim platform that I'm unwilling to take off (that's where the 176 qt cooler goes ;) ). I use bags and don't have any problems. For a kicker, I would say any of the 8-9 hp 4 strokes would be plenty, long shaft for sure as these are deep, high floating boats with lots of freeboard.

Good luck with it.

Tim

The right way to do it is to hire a professional boat surveyor to check it out. It'll cost a couple hundered bucks, but if he finds problems, could save you thousands (in either purchase or repair costs). to check yourself, if you can get to em, tap on em with a hammer or other solid object, it'll sound hollow and will be soft if the wood is rotten under the epoxy.

Hank (L&M) can probably recommend a good surveyor.

Mine is a 1986, which was really before the quality issues hit. From what I understand, the mid 90's to 97 or so (which I believe is the year they closed) had come qulaity issues. Not saying they were all junk, just that it'd be a wise investment to have a boat surveyor check the boat out beofre buying. A lot of the older Baha Cruisers had the same stringer issues.

If it turns out that it's solid, you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Tim

thanx brian I will kepp that in mind when I talked to the guy tonight he saidall that was all looked over last spring and passed with flying colors I still think I will pay somone to come along any ways. if all goes well she maybe be in the marina this spring it is loaded and ready to fish. :clap:8)