Newbie help required

Hi all.

I found this site while surfing for diver/downrigger fishing info and I must say - great site. Loaded with tons of info. Sometimes a little overwhelming.

I have a place on a Northern Ontario lake. The lake is about half the size of Honeoye Lake. Lakers and smallies only. For the last few years I have been targeting lakers with limited success. Avg size is 5lbs with my largest just under 11lbs. I flatline in the spring and fall and use the 3-way swivel method in the summer. Most 3-way hits came on the inside turn which tells me I'm not getting deep enough. So I figure it's time to get some diver or downrigger gear.

I'm going to go the diver route as it is the smallest initial investment.

I'm looking at the Heartland 9'6" dipsey rod with a Accudepth Plus ADP17LC loaded with 300 yds of 30# Power Pro (fleas aren't a problem in my lake). A couple Deeper Divers and I should be good to go. I already have a good assortment of spoons - Williams/Mooselook/Sutton.

Anyhow, I have a few questions...

1) Will the size 17 reel be unbalanced with the rod? Should I move up to the size 27? I figure 300 yds is plenty of line, so why go to a bigger reel and have to add backer.

2) Most of the time I fish alone so there is only one line in the water. If I get a downrigger in the future, can I use the diver setup for downrigging? Should I initially buy an 8'6" Heartland DR rod instead? Is using braid as a downrigger mainline OK? I'd like to get a setup I can use for both divers and downrigging.

3) Typically, are flies used with flashers and spoons with dodgers?

Thanks guys!!

First i would also think instead of not being deep enough maybe you going to fast if your hits come on the inside turn thats when the lure slows down. You can run spoons bare with out a flasher or dodger. As far as the rods and reels i dont know.

Hi all.

I found this site while surfing for diver/downrigger fishing info and I must say - great site. Loaded with tons of info. Sometimes a little overwhelming.

Don't let yourself be overwhelmed blackdog. :P Take your time and absorb what you can. Lots of good info here and great folks to back it up. Welcome to the site. ;)

A dipsy setup will work well on the lakers, probably better than downriggers some of the time. Musky is right though, take it one step at a time, I started trolling last spring and it can be overwhelming. Even though it's more oriented to Lake Ontario, I found Keating's book on "Great Lakes Trolling for Salmon and Trout" to be very helpful, it will give you an overview of most of the techniques used in the Finger lakes(you can order it from Amazon). The Finger lakes forum on this site will have more specific info for you some of the time.

After reading/ chatting some more you will have a better handle on the whole picture but I do think you might be on the right track with the dipsy rig. I think I would go with an 8'6" rod, it's easier to handle. I would go with the 47 size reel because it can be used for practically every trolling application- and things will change for you as you get into this! You might want to experiment with spooling up w/ 30# super braid. I would only get the largest size diver , the magnum divers can go from deep to shallow depending on how much line you have out(Walkers are probably the best deal). Lakers really like the Flasher/ Fly combo behind a diver. Start simple with a few spin doctor flashers in white, mtn dew, and chartreuse and some Atomic flies in white, green, etc, get flies with the "tournament rigging". Although the dipsy rig is less $ than a rigger + rod & reel, you will still need a heavy duty rod holder (Bert's, Traxtech, etc) because the diver exerts a tremendous amount of strain on the rod and rod holder. Trolling speed is usually not as critical with lakers as it with some other species but you will need to find a way to monitor speed and be able to repeat what works. This can vary from watching the action of the flasher at the surface and relating it to a throttle setting to employing some serious electronic wizardry.

For better or for worse, you will probably find yourself considering at a "wire line" dipsy setup after playing around with the superbraid for a while. Wire line dipsy setups just really turn on the lakers ! The main reason I even say this is to encourage you to get stuff (rods & reels) that can evolve with you as evolve- I am not saying you have to eat the whole enchilada, just start out with stuff that can be used different ways especially when they don't cost much more.

It's recreation, enjoy it!

Thanks for the responses guys. I did a little light reading :lol: on the weekend and think I got a pretty good handle on it.

Speed is one factor why I can't get down deep with my current 3-way setup. That and the fact that my tackle is to light to be adding a bunch more weight. I troll at idle on the big motor and run around 3mph +/-. I also use the bow mount electric to slow down and get better results. But a PITA when its windy. I got a couple of drift socks to try this year to see if it helps.

As far as rod holders go, I have some Scotty Power Lock's side mounted on the gunwales. I doubt these will stand upto the stress of a dipsy. I like the idea of track mount, but the gunwales on my Crestliner are only 2 1/2" wide. Looks like the Big Jon Heavy-Duty Diver Rod Holder w/ Slim-Line Base may be my only option. I guess I could bite the bullet now and add a 12" pedestal to my rear casting deck and set up a track system. I'll have to do this anyway when I add downriggers. Anyhow, does anyone know of any other rod holder out there with a 2 1/2" base?

A track system is going to give you a lot of versatility. There has been a number of threads on rod holders, search through them- there is a lot of things to consider if you are starting out from scratch.

Welcome black dog! There is tons of information here and people willing to help share that info. You'll find the people here are very helpful. I do the majority of my fishing on the central basin of lake erie, and once or twice a year take a trip to Ontario- so I am kind of new to the lake as well, and the people here are more than helpful!

I use braid all the time on Erie when I use my downriggers, as well as on my divers, and other set-ups(no fleas on erie). Myself- I do not have a wire set-up on the dipsys, because wire is not needed on Erie, and I cannot afford the set-up for one week a year. So when on Ontario I use #30 mono and a one setting on my divers. Regardless what setting you decide upon, be sure that on the diver, the majority of the weight is toward the boat.

The only brand of divers I use are Luhr Jensen. Then I would try a spin doc/fly set-up. I like using flys from Siggs Rigs. Or just pulling a spoon behind the diver will work just fine as well.

Chowder is correct, if the majority of your hits came off the inside turn slow down a little bit. And if your still hot off the inside turn, find a honey hole and circle it, figure 8 it, as long as long as you can do that without running into anyone!

hope this helps a little bit!