2020 LOC Spring Derby Cancelled

According to the LOC website the 2020 spring derby has been cancelled.

LOC SPRING DERBY CANCELLED

It is with great regret I am cancelling the 2020 Spring LOC Derby. We have been deemed “non-essential” and am unsure if our classification will be lifted by May 8th.

For there to be a Derby, there is a symbiotic relationship of businesses that need to be up and running. Unfortunately, most currently also have the “non-essential” business classification.  There needs to be tackle stores and Marinas for weigh-in stations and registration outlets. Restaurants and diners to feed people, motels, hotels, bed and breakfasts, and campgrounds for people to stay. Groceries, fishing tackle, propane, ice and maybe a little beer needs to be purchased, along with all the wholesalers who supply these items. Charters need to be hired, boats need to be bought, and launches need to be open.

I have worked with many of these businesses since 1989, and I can assure you that even though our governor deems us non-essential, nothing could be further from the truth. It is essential for the survival of many of the businesses that support this industry to get back to work as soon as it is safe to do so.

As consumers, I understand that fishing Lake Ontario is not essential to anyone staying alive. The logic that you can’t go fishing with family or friends on Lake Ontario but can go to the local supermarket that has been exposed to every virus and/or bacteria from every household in the area escapes me.

For those that have purchased a Seasons pass we will refund $30 and keep you in the Summer and Fall events.

If you entered the Spring Derby only, you can get a refund or transfer your entry into the Summer or Fall event. If you want a refund or to update/change your registration, please email the Derby at [email protected]

I want to personally thank all the loyal anglers for their continuing support year after year. Without it, the Derbies would not be possible. Looking forward to making the Summer LOC Derby the best ever.

Dave Chilson

LOC Derby