25lb Sharks

I just received word today from the Sharkman that do to popular demand, Shark downrigger weights will be manufacturing 25lb Shark weights. These are designed to be run with the Big Jon Brute ES downriggers produced by Big Jon's John Williams with design input from Capt. Mark Chmura. As many of you may know, Capt. Mark let the cat out of the bag about way deep fishing for kings in a past article in GLA. Sharkman new of this deep fishing phenominon before it became public and we discussed the making of bigger sharks to meet the challenges of fishing down into the abyss. After polling many of the Lake Ontario Capt's invovled in the tournament circut, it was decided to start with the 20lb Sharks as most of the riggers manufactured could handle that kind of weight. Capt. Chmura stated in his article that he was running some proto type Stinger weights that were in the 25lb range.

Past experience has taught me that heavier weights have less blowback and that slimmer profile weights have less drag.I have been after Sharkman to make me some 25lb Sharks that I could use with my new Brute ES Downriggers that are going on to my Charter Boat this spring. He promised me that he would do this for me. Well, the time has come. 25lb Sharks have now become a reality and will soon be going into full production. There is a special introdutory offer being extended to Charter Capt's and GLA board members who own Brute ES's and would like to purchase them. Below is copy of the E-mail that I received from the Sharkman.

"To all you Brutes out there; to everyone who went out and bought the Big John Brute downriggers or are thinking about it; this is your moment of truth. You bought the wickedest rigger ever made, the Brutes are able to haul 25 pounds of lead; are you? Shark Cannonballs is ready to create the ultimate Shark weight, we are looking for a few serious anglers out there to step up to the plate and help get things rolling. We delivered the 20 pound Mega Shark as promised, we are now offering the same introductory deal on the 25 pounder to the first captains that are willing to place an advance order. Contact us at [email protected] for details on this offer. The introductory price will be $85 each plus $15 for shipping. The big Shark will cost at least $115 later in the season."

Guys, if I didn't use and believe in Shark Downrigger weights, there would be no way that I would ever post this.

Capt. Jimmy Samia

www.acecharters.com

• 2 weeks later...

Capt.

Put a Brute on my stern last season and drug the 25 stinger around a bit. DONT DROP on toe! Would hate to see one of these fall to the bottom with my fish hawk on it. OH NO.

Never ran a shark, do they swim straight? Do they need to be tuned.

That is a good price on the weight, the stinger cost me all of that!!

Thanks for the heads up.

CC

It is my personal opinion at this time that the Shark downrigger weights are the absolute best tracking weight on the market and have been since their inception. They run true without any tuning. One word of caution, besides dropping it on your toe LOL, it is not advisable to attach a release to the rigger weight itself as it can affect it's tracking ability. I use an inline Black's or Dubro. Any release that attaches to the rigger cable would be O.K. to use. There were some earlier Sharks that had holes drilled into the back fin on top. Guys were attaching leash type releases (Scotty's for example) to the hole. This was causing the Sharks to walk and not track as true as they are capable of when the rigger rods were loaded up.