Shifting Problem

one eyed jack

I've got a 1997 Penn Yan Rage.  When I advance the throttle to start is and let it warm up, I bring it back to neutral and it doesn't always go in gear.  The mechanic replaced the lower shift cable that had a "flat" spot wore on it.  Everything worked fine until Sunday when it would not go in gear.  I shut it off, advanced the throttle back and forth several times, started it up, and it worked fine.  Any ideas???

Your shifting cable may need to be adjusted sometime one turn on your barrel nut is all it will take to adjust and adjust it in the water because it makes world of difference in adjustment with water pressure against the prop if u try doing it out of the water and seems to shift fine the next time u launch my not go in forwards or reverse adjustments on some are very finicky . It may also be your boats idle speed is too high and when u are resetting the throttle or shutting motor off and restarting it your idle is coming down after it warms up good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Well you have 2 measurements when installing a new shift cable. Barrel to eye is 6 in and the other is post to post should be 3 in. Sonning the barrel is not how you should adjust shift cable. There is a small crecent shaped groove with a 5/16 but that you adjust your shift with. Loosen nut just enough so that you can change the position slightly inside the groove and snug it up and check the shift( in the water under load) untill you find the sweet spot for forward and reverse.