Hoggin...

Does anyone here shoot groundhogs when there not trolling... and what weapon and round are you using??

I shoot a Savage Model 12FV. I went to a Choate (Major Plaster) sniper stock and a 50gr. remington 22-250 boatail accutip. Planning on going out tomorrow for the first time this season.

I use the 22.250 as well, had a model 70 winchester 6-18 power tasco with trajectory comp. Worked real good with hand loads. Now have the same Savage as you heavy fluted barrel, laminated stock, real heavy firearm but track driver with 8-32 power simmons mounted. Favorite hand load is 39.2 grains of H-380, pushing a 55 grain sierra PSP at a little over 3700 FPS muzzel. I have pushed the charge to 41 grains, however it behaves badly during summer temps with pressure, so I rarely use those loads for anything over 40 degrees. The groups tighten up nicely as the charge goes up but significant primer flattening and sometime a blowout have occured during hot temps in the summer, so 39.2 H-380 is my favorite. Brass lasts a lot longer too. 41 grains launches 55 gr projectile over 3900 FPS and is just devastating to whatever it touches....BUT BE CAREFULL...and check your headspace if you do any handloading....May the fur fly...BOOM :rock:

Mark

Hey Mark, I forgot to mention the scope. Its a Mueller http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MU852550IGR.html

3900 fps is smokin....... I dont hand load, but I wish I did.

I was able to use the Remington ballistics calculator to get my elevation and windage clicks down. I'm tuned in to 600 yds. every 25yds.

I have kills out to 560, and I missed at a little over 600 last season. those shots are hard to find in NJ. Usually they are across more than one piece of property LOL.. Let me know how you killin goes. Talk to ya later :devil: RED MIST :devil:

Pete...Great scope...nice price too, I think I like it!..I'm originally from the catskills and had several farmer friends and a golf course owner who were happy to see me show up with the little fly weight bullet with the big boom. Golf course was fun when no one was out during the week there were some 600 yard fairways that offered some nice shots..kinda cool gettin a hole in one from 600 yards :lol: I even used the winchester for deer and it was a drop in the tracks for any range as long as I could see them in the clear.

Mark