lakers from shore on Kueka

I have been visiting kueka lake now for about nine years with very little success in catching lakers. The primary reason for this is because I fish from shore with no access to a fishing boat. During the warmer months I catch my share of smallies with an occational pike mixed in and have decided to give early season lakers a shot. I'm gonna be headin up this weekend and will be stayin at a friends place in Hammondsport. Any tips on how to catch lakers from shore would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

bout the only time you will get one next to shore is after sunset and before sunrise as they will cruse the shallows looking for the bait.bobber fishing with a live smelt or sawbelly is best bet ,floating stickbait should work too but my guess is youll throw your arm outa joint before catching one your more likley to get a brown before you get a laker ..good luck have your friend take you to the creek near the hotel and try there as bait is around the creek this time of year

Ray, thanks a bunch for the knowledge. Pretty funny comment on casting stickbaits, but i can withstand the abuse. With that in mind, would it be a good idea to throw little cleos and in-line spinners?

not unless you have a lot of them (rocks) your better off with natural looking baits black and silver is a good color anytime and over by the hotel there is a nice light by that little dock that draws in the bait fish so some slow retrives with twitching might get some attention.i dont fish that lake much but spent most of my childhood summers with my cousins up there ...Emery Cummings (think hes the mayor still) and the Viselli's ..during the day if you can get over by the moulth of coldbrook try the shore line as browns cruse the shallows in low light conditions .

I know of a cabin owner who will row a boat out 100 ft. or so and let his sawbellie down. Then he rows back in, lets his pole on the dock and catches lakers!!

If the wind was in your favor, drape your line over a natural float [wood] and let it drift your bait out 100+ft. Then pull your line off the float,, let it sink and wait and wait, have a beer, and another and you might get a laker. If its calm, skip the first part.

Thanks for the info areyounuts. Should i use a slip bobber or a heavy sinker? Sounds like a great idea. My friend has a house located right on the lake about a 1.5 miles up from the Hammondsport marina. A few jd's with cola will be the perfect combo.

Try going over to the state launch in Branchport. When launching my boat I have seen guys fishing off the launch and catching lakers. On the outside of the launch it drops off very quickly. Try a sawbelly on a slip sinker.