Mountain Dew Fish Fry (Gluten-free optional)

I have been using this one for a couple years since I suddenly became gluten intolerant and GF fried fish Wasn’t even close to the real thing until now.  You can use this with any type of flour.

- Use your favorite beer batter recipe, even gluten- free if need be (I use Sportsman’s Warehouse GF beer batter for convenience),  and substitute the beer with green, addictive carbonated crack (Mountain Dew). You will not regret it.

-I believe the high sugar content in the soda causes it to caramelize as it’s frying and gives the fish coating a little extra texture. (Think extra cheese that ran onto the pizza pan and fried that everyone fights over after) You could probably substitute any soda but once I tried this I was pleased enough to not tamper with it. Please let me know what you all think and please feel free to toss some gluten free recipes up here!

My scratch batter mix:

1 cup flour (or GF flour)

-I use King Arthur’s Measure for Measure GF flour

1/2 cup corn meal

1/2- 1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper 

-dump 1/3 of the mix into a zip lock bag with fish. Dredge & let sit in refrigerator or on the counter for at least a half hour still in the bag.

- put remaining 2/3 dry flour mix in mixing bowl with enough Mountain Dew to make a thick pancake batter consistency. The batter should slowly drip off fish but not run off when dipped.

-  dip fish in batter and deep fry or pan fry on stove with just enough vegetable oil to cover fish.  It should be golden brown within 3 minutes or turn up the heat.  Fry on each side until golden brown.

-Enjoy 

* Warning:  You may never go back to beer batter after this 

IMG_9331.jpeg

Edited by greenhornet73
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...