Are you kidding me Weaves? This fishery is small compared to what it was in the 80's. It could use more attention. If the fishermen do not fish the lake, the fishery will not be here.
And hauling bass out of weeds with a heavy rod and 80lb braid is exciting? Ever watch a walleye fishing show? The Great Lakes market is tiny because it lacks exposure. I have bumped into people that live right near the lake and they had no idea it had trout and salmon in it!
It looks like they would have a better show if they came to Lake Ontario. The first show only showed a couple fish being caught and small ones at that!
After watching a couple episodes, I can't believe that this has not been done more on Lake Ontario. I know they did the Wilson Harbor Invitational a couple years ago. Why not the Pro Am, Oak Orchard open, Atommik Invitational, or other tournaments on the lake?
I had a 27lb king almost spool me a couple seasons ago. It was hooked in the dorsal fin. Before I could get the boat turned, I was down to 100' of backing! I have had a couple hooked in the top of the head that were hard to slow down too. I would rather have a little bit of insurance than get spooled.
IMO, 150 yds of backing is only a good idea if you run the rod down the chute. If you run it off a board, you are asking to get spooled. I have had a couple kings hooked funny and almost get spooled with 300 yds of backing off the boards.