Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. If cowbells are fished properly, you will not need a thumper. The riggers are way more efficient and will get the job done. I run two riggers and that is it when I lake trout fish. Most days, that is too much work. Occasionally I run an extra rigger high for bonus kings, browns and steelhead. That is only if the laker fishing is on the slower side.
  2. Not even close Les, I use a noose. They just hang themselves!
  3. They do work but I find when fishing lakers, 2 riggers is too much at times and the thumper gets in the way!
  4. The bass creel should not be five period. With the population this low, it does not make sense to allow man to keep five when other predators are knocking them down even lower. Protect what we have today or we will have nothing tomorrow.
  5. Agreed but it allows the population to be knocked down even further. Sportfishing or not, something has to be done to bring back the smallmouth fishery. The DEC needs to make changes before it's too late. In the 90's, we used to have a ball smallmouth fishing off of Hedges. Now you can fish everyday in the season and catch fewer than we used to catch in one day!
  6. I field tested the UV Hammerheads last summer. Sunny days they excel.
  7. Thanks for updating Andy. You beat me to it! I also went up and visited with Jay the other day. Hopefully they keep their word and let him go home this week / weekend.
  8. It depends on the speed you want to run. Heavy spoons like NK mags and Dream Weaver mags will not have much action at slower speeds. Stinger Mags are way lighter and will have more action at slower speeds.
  9. Tournament bass fishermen keep very few. But there are a lot of guys that keep smallmouth to eat. Back in the 90's on Lake Ontario, lots of smallmouth left on stringers every day of the season.
  10. Slot limits may not be the answer. They put a slot limit on the River we used to vacation on in Canada and it turned it into hammer handle City. The slot makes most people only keep big breeders. The under slot fish were released because they were too small. I am all for reducing the creel limit state wide.
  11. The most mind blowing part of that report is the stats about the smallmouth population. Here we sit at the lowest levels recorded yet the creel limit is the same as it was when the population was very strong. Shouldn't the creel limit be dropped to help bring the population back?
  12. You might get more views of this in the classifieds section.
  13. I have an 86 StarCraft Blue water which is just like that boat with a soft top. My stringers were rotted really bad and I replaced them 6 years ago.
  14. Size 2 Spin n glows I run a size 2 hook and a size 4 spin n glow, I run a size 4 hook.
  15. On Lake Ontario, there is no better method than the spin n glow / cowbell combo. Running spoons, flashers and flies and Dodgers and spin n glows works. I have found I catch more fish per hour and bigger fish on the cowbell / spin n glow rigs. Take a look at the summer LOC leaderboard year after year and see which method is on there the most.
  16. I have had luck with Kwikfish, spoons, peanuts, spin n glows, swim baits, and mr twister curly tailed grubs. Spin n glows and peanuts are my best two producers. Kwikfish work but I end up with picking up zebra muscles with them now and then. I have only caught lakers, a steelhead and an Atlantic on cowbells and spin n glows.
  17. I have had robins in my yard for three weeks...... Hopefully soon!
  18. IMO the past three seasons have been abnormal as far as king fishing. This winter is following the 2011-2012 pattern. 2012 was the best season I had in 31 years of fishing Lake Ontario. Let's hope 2016 is like 2012!
  19. Looks like my back yard Bill. The deer were walking by just inside the woods last night while I was grilling!
  20. Never saw that before. Interesting.
  21. No such a thing. Buy the retro ease. No need to tip up.
  22. I knew this comment was coming! You are too predictable Rick.
×
×
  • Create New...