Jump to content

GAMBLER

Professional
  • Posts

    9,908
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by GAMBLER

  1. I use Krylon paint and paint them up. They make all sorts of colors in Krylon. It stays on better than stingers paint jobs too.
  2. 91? I was in middle school then Paul. I can't remember back that far!
  3. Ending trout and salmon stocking would be detrimental to the perch population. Without alewive control, the perch population would plummet. When perch fry hatches, adult alewives are prespawn and feed on newly hatched perch fry. Therefore, if the salmon and trout do not eat alewives and they over populate, the perch population would decline.
  4. I would wait until mid April. One year, I put my boat in April 1st and it was not fun. I had to go down and shovel 6" of wet heavy snow off the boat. My big worry was the weight of the snow on the canvas.
  5. He is used to fishing Lake Trout Justin. He loves that slow troll!
  6. The method of trolling Dodgers and spin n glows is NOT the best way to catch big lakers. This is the most popular approach to laker fishing on Lake Michigan. I'm willing to bet if they slowed down and dragged some cowbells, they would find a lot of big lakers.
  7. GAMBLER

    Bullheads

    Just make sure you wash your hands before eating after handling them. My buddy got salmonella this way! Not cool.
  8. I found online that the Wisconsin State record came from Lake Michigan at 40.2lbs.
  9. With how small these kings are in this show, I can't believe more laker fishing is not done.
  10. Was that when the horses pulled the barges down the canal path Les?
  11. There is still a good population of fish in the lowered parts of the canal. Not nearly as many as summer but they are there. Find ANY kind of structure and you will find fish. I used to live on the canal as a kid in Spencerport and we did well anywhere we found a branch, log, deep hole, drainage pipe or bicycle. It was amazing how little of a branch would hold a bunch of fish. We caught walleye, pike, smallmouth, largemouth, rockbass, perch, catfish, suckers, sheephead and carp.
  12. I have been running the Cannon Mag 10 STX riggers for 2 years with no issues. I fish a lot of lake trout and abuse my riggers. My last set of Cannons were 12 years old and were great.
  13. GAMBLER

    Cranberry

    We see it way too often!
  14. Try his email. That's how I got a hold of him.
  15. Do some research on Atlantics in the Great Lakes and you will see it is a failure. The Canadians stock 600,000 a year and get returns of adults that are less than 50 fish. NO THANKS! As long as there are alewives, atlantics will not do well. The Atlantics are impacted by thiamine deficiency way more than Kings, and Coho.
  16. GAMBLER

    Bullheads

    I have heard Braddocks and the ponds are producing good numbers Dave. Good luck!
  17. If you need a mechanic, call Tom Barbera Pro Marina Services at East Fork Marina on Sandy Creek. He does great work! He has done a ton of work over the years on my boat and He has been great.
  18. Kingfisher06, Stick to the topic and stop jumping on people that disagree with you. People are entitled to their opinions. Allowing commercial fishing should be done on certain waters only and should be better regulated to keep the fishery going. The East end perch fishery seems healthy but the Central / West end fishery is not what it was 10 years ago. The finger lakes are big lakes but too much pressure may destroy a great fishery. We need to preserve what we have.
  19. Call Tom Barbera like stated above.
  20. This winter, the lake temp was way warmer than the last two. The intake temp at my work did not go below 37 degrees. The last two winters, it was 34 degrees by mid January and stayed there all winter. We are currently sitting at 41 degrees. We did not see 41 degrees until early / mid April last year. Hopefully this will help things.
  21. PM the runner up from the WHI sound off!
  22. I often wonder if the internet has caused more damage to fisheries than commercial fishing....... I can remember ice fishing lakers on Canadice Lake on a weekday with no one around. Man has that changed! Good reports on the internet have sent me driving to new lakes looking for the hot bite. There is not much of a learning curve anymore. People can read up, go to the lake and pound the fish.
  23. I run two rods with cowbells and spin n glows and that is it. For years, I used to try jamming a third rigger down and that seemed to shut the bite down some. There are four keys to laker fishing. 1. Speed 2. Direction of troll 3. keeping the riggers as close to the bottom as possible 4. No down time. When I fish lakers, I commit 100% to laker fishing. It is too hard to run king stuff at the speeds I troll for lakers. It does work but I rarely do it. I go with the less is more thought process.
×
×
  • Create New...