Jump to content

Gator

Professional
  • Posts

    3,010
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gator

  1. Wow, I leave you guys alone for a day or two and this is what happens! First, I want to address the issue of rubber toys. I think that's a suburban myth, propagated by outside forces who want to tear down my legacy. There's no proof of such items....crap, I need to get to the boat quick... Second, if anyone is going to kiss Tommy's ass, they're going to have to go through me. Grass stains on my knees and all. Third, if anyone wants to give me $100K for Nothing But Net, it's yours. Finally, I recall back in the day a fellow fisherman who owned a strip club and would show up at the dock with several of his employees. Yes, jaws hit the floor and there may or may not have been some drool issues...these days I can attribute that to age...but we were always respectful. So, just to be clear, let the record show that we are welcoming of families, children, and MILFs at Sandy Creek.
  2. It sure sounds like a heck of an investment. My wife and I ran the numbers when Bruce was selling the place, thinking long term investment, and we simply couldn't make them work for us. But then again, neither of us have the experience to establish sweat equity in a marine venture, either. I am rooting for him. It would be nice to have a more vibrant culture on the Creek, and the on-site gas would be great, even if it means that our not-so-hidden gem is exposed. The size of the marina may be it's undoing though. IMHO, a modest operation with twenty or twenty five docks would be feasible, but I'm no expert and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  3. We slipped there for fifteen years before the owner Bruce left for Florida and left most of us high and dry scrambling for dockage. It changed hands a few years ago; there seemed to be a push to renovate and re-open, but so far crickets. There may be a member here with better knowledge of the issues. As for the facility: there is a small launch. The channel to the Creek is narrow but navigable. Optimally, I'd want to know that the gas tank was completely drained, cleaned, and refilled before purchasing. But it would be nice to have gas on Sandy again.
  4. Are you over at Frank's again or did you get a spot with Tommy this year?
  5. We stepped in $hit today and found a pretty good load of biggies that were chewing, 180' east of the creek, with larger fish coming from the surface to 55' down. The 110 wire slide diver was best, running an NBK Stingray.
  6. I ran one a couple weeks ago. I will say that at one point we cleared the deck, with the sole exception of the rod running the ID lure. They are quite,,,vigorous...in their action. But the salmon wanted to chew that day, so I'm guessing that a more active presentation wouldn't have been problematic. Regardless, no swings and no misses. Yet. I'm not going to make a judgement call based on a single use, but it may require some dialing in. Or it may be a bust, time will tell. Please weigh in if you get out and have a chance to test them.
  7. It's great to have a product that works as advertised, and information is power, but the equation only holds if your intent is to catch as many fish as possible in as short a time as possible using every advantage at your disposal. And at what point does this detract from the simply joy of fishing? For me, fishing is an end not a means. I'm not exactly adverse to new technology and I have the means to acquire it. But we often run a spread with less than our legal limit of rods, and I sometimes take a chance on a hunch rather than sticking with the sure thing. There was an article recently in the latest New England edition of On the Water magazine where they discussed the difference between the most effective ways to fish versus the most enjoyable. Journey before destination. I guess it all depends on your goals, the extent to which you are driven by them, and whether you judge the juice to be worth the squeeze. Different strokes, right? Brian and I have spoken on this, and it's in no way me casting shade on his style of fishing. Although the word style should never be used in a sentence with either his or my name lol.
  8. Same, we only cut up a couple, but even the ones we put back had tails hanging out of their mouths. Start packing on the pounds, my pretties!!!
  9. Yes. Sandy Creeks rules say that you need to take one for me for every one you take for yourself. Drop off at East Fork.
  10. Fifteen billion alewives invaded Sandy this morning, and the gulls were having a heyday. Our amazing fishing is about to take a dump for a few weeks, IMHO. Time will tell.
  11. I'm embarrassed to say that I remember that! Before we had Nothing But Net, when I was a graduate student at UR, I used to run a 20' Thompson called Wandering Seamen. You can probably get the joke... In the late '80s, I helped Vic Mason build and pour an acrylic bar top for Skinner's on the west side of Braddock's in return for dockage, until I got too busy and broke to maintain a boat, at which point I punted on fishing Lady O for a few years until a buddy bought a 19' Sea Nymph, which we fished for many years. Lots of history there. God Bless all the younger guys (and gals) who are just starting on their journey. I wonder what it will look like for them in 30 years or so?
  12. Funny how they're localized...nary a gnat to be found off Sandy. But a couple weeks ago they looked like that - cold enough they were "resting" on the boat though rather than adding protein to our diet.
  13. We should nickname this "the old farts thread" lol. One I'm proud to be a part of...albeit not a fan of hearing Scotty say he crapped in a bucket...but better virtually than live!
  14. My favorite fishing in the world is a spot in the ADK that I access using my paddling kayak, no fins, no motor, no problem catching 5 lb+ smallmouth. Simple is often more satisfying. You know the glory belongs to you and not to your fishfinder or subscription or number of friends on Facebook lol.
  15. Awesome stuff, traveling around the world fishing...I've been privileged to experience some of the same stuff - GT and marlin in Australia, permit in Honduras and Belize, bones in Abaco, salmon in Alaska, BFT off the Cape, tarpon in the Keys, and trout on the fly just about everywhere they swim - but no matter the location or how you chose to fish, it comes down to whether you enjoy where you are in the moment. There's a boatload of guys down on Honeoye it seems like every day. They're whooping and hollering, having a grand ole' time. You'd think it would get old, but for them it's the company. As I get older, it's the same for me. I don't so much care about the details but more about the folks I choose as companions. Of course, having the Patagonian Andes as a backdrop as you enjoy a Delmonico after a day's fishing doesn't hurt lol.
  16. I love trolling, but Isaac has a great point. Somewhere, the line got blurred between fishing and simply operating machinery to catch a fish. Many of the accoutrements that we use to increase our chances of finding and hooking fish get in the way - yeah, they make you a "better" fisherman, maybe, but do they allow you to enjoy the simple thrill that got us all hooked when we were kids? As I've become more experienced and accumulated better toys, I actually think I experience less joy. That's one reason I love fishing out of my kayak so much. I use a paddle, it's a PITA to keep position, I don't have a livescope so I'm not glued to the screen (I get enough screen time when I'm not outdoors), and ultimately IMHO it's more rewarding. Same goes for fly fishing the rivers out West. There's nothing between me and the fish. I read the water, I choose the fly, and I fail spectacularly all on my own. There's certainly no wrong way to fish, and different strokes and all, but I guess one question we could all ask ourselves: for you, is fishing an end or a means?
  17. We slaughtered them as well, with well over 30 fish boated. Kings to ~16 lbs and a big laker, but most fish in that 8-12 lb range. At one point we cleared the deck with seven or eight rods and stupid grins on our faces. Spoons fished in the top 30 early; any deeper and it was lakerville. Chaos early turned into a steady pick later in the morning. Today we fished for ~3 hrs in the <1ft chop lol. Got our a$$es handed to us a little bit, but not as bad as we've fished. Far fewer bites today. I think we went 8-11 but honestly didn't keep track. Just chillin' with a buddy I haven't seen in a long time.
  18. You are correct. Not a single individual has named their kid Harry in recent history. I have no answers on the rest of this, but I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Seriously though, it seems like chump change to me to fund some of these studies, particular in comparison to some of the more recent budget request for other stuff, but IMHO it's probably the money more-so than willpower that roadblocks research efforts. We are seeing 4 year projects shut down in year 3, with the data becoming a casualty of the system. Meliora...
  19. Jeez, the Ryan boys and Manny seem to have some secret sauce turkey cologne or something lol. And Schultz getting it done up North! Congratulations to all.
  20. Ouch. That's a tough break (or two, in this case). It sure got gnarly out there after 9 am or so...
  21. You can't spell banana without laker.
  22. One thing it seems like you never hear is that ethanol is much less efficient than gas...you'd think that adding 10% ethanol would save 10% of the gas that you'd normally use, right? Nope. You actually lose about 5% off your mpg rating, so you burn more volume to travel the same distance. If a gallon of gas gets you 20 miles undiluted, when you add ethanol you get 19 mpg, so you have to burn 1.05 gallons to travel 20 miles, of which ~0.95 gallons is gas. Add 10% ethanol to save 5% gas. And ****-can your engines.
  23. My first Lake Ontario boat was a 1976 version of this. I recall a bunch of years ago that somebody bought rights to the Thompson mold and was planning to reintroduce a limited number of these, though I don't know that it ever lifted off the ground. Unfortunately, my boat was drydocked for several years due to the demands of graduate school and eventually I let it go. She was a fishing beast though and I remember her fondly. Good luck.
  24. If you let out the same amount of line but run the inside diver on a one setting and the outside diver on a three, my experience suggests that you will incur very few tangles even on turns. Of course, there's other setups that work equally well (ie, mag dipsey on the inside, regular on the outside), with the intended outcome that the outside diver be higher up in the water column and further to the side of the boat. That having been said, the two issues on our boat that have led to 99%+ of tangles are first, letting out the divers too fast. I like to let them out under drag tension, slow and steady. And second, running paddles that are too big for the divers, which can cause them to track strangely and even allow for tangles between port and starboard rigs.
  25. Damn Canuckistan!! Wait...I like that the lake level is getting higher. Three cheers for those Loonies! They also have a moratorium on building within a certain distance of the lakeshore. Not shortsighted, maybe even smart.
×
×
  • Create New...