Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Thas one for the wall
  2. I have a 250 and a 300 set up the way I described above. You probably have 45 lb copper and maybe heavier backing? The 30 lb Power Pro is pretty small diameter. The nice thing about that reel is that it has a higher gear ratio than the standard 47H. I also replaced the drag washers with carbon fiber ones. P.S. I only use them on the Fingers though
  3. Aaron if it is only going to be used on the Finger Lakes you could use 150 yds of 30 lb Power Pro and 300 ft of 30 lb copper and that should fit on the 47LC Great Lakes model
  4. Welcome to LOU Jim and thanks for the video very cool. Haven't seen that many smallies up close in a long while
  5. Nice going Aaron Pretty addictive isn't it?
  6. Shouldn't it read 150 lb cable?
  7. It can help to run the riggers with shorter leads and deeper but a wild king on a rigger can change everything too and clearing the leadcore quickly may be advisable. ( I looked for a pic I have of my 10 color rolled up in a ball on the bottom of the boat for reference but couldn't find itt
  8. We can all be thankful we live in the modern age of medicine and technology when these situations occur. Others have been through it successfully so take heart, stay positive, and especially remain very understanding and supportive of your wife as it is really important that her emotional state stays as stabile as possible under the circumstances.
  9. Ditto on this 700 ft is plenty for the Fingers as you seldom let out more than 400 ft and that still leaves you the length of a football field on the spool. For Lake O because of the king potential you'd want new wire at 1,000 ft. If only on the Fingers another option (but less sound) would be to cut out the bad section and rejoin the two remaining sections with a small SPRO heavy swivel and use crimps on both ends of the swivel. This would allow you to keep the extra 300 ft. as a (backup) just in case you got hung up on bottom or something and needed the extra 300 ft but it would still probably be the potentially weakest part of your setup and you would have to make sure the swivel would safely clear the line guide ofthe reel and the eylets of the rod.
  10. Use a 124mm Deeper Diver (Walker) on 30 lb wire set to zero if have longer diver rod if not #1 to get it away from the riggers and run it deeper with more wire out.
  11. Anything is worth a try and you'll never know until you actually do try it but again I'd compare it right along with your other braid.
  12. I'm not familiar with that particular line but line diameter may not be the most critical factor. Line texture is what seems to make the most difference with fleas combined with the density of the fleas encountered. Although some types of fleas seem vulnerable to line diameter lines like braid and leadcore seem to load up more than certain mono like Sea flee which has a slippery surface and at 30 lb test it usually also provides some relief in terms of diameter as well. I have had 6-8 ft long thick strands of fleas on 150 lb downrigger cable on Keuka Lake in the past and that suggested that for some flea densities at least diameter may not be the critical factor but the texture of the wire and heavy concentration of that particular type of flea gave us that "headache". It might be interesting to run one rod with it against one with your usual braid and see the result
  13. Thanks for delievring the package too Sammy.
  14. WTG bud! You smacked them pretty good Brian. I sure wish I had gone there today. I was tempted but I had to do lawn work and the wind prediction didn't look great....big mistake I guess Man..the landlocks coming out of there look healthy don't they? I think I'm going to give it a try there as soon as possible. The big pond looks a mess right now maybe let it calm down a bit before going back there.
  15. Nope but he was interested in that boat and may have waited too long on it
  16. Friend looking for 16-17 ft center Console glass w/4 stroke A buddy of mine who already owns a new large pontoon boat is looking for a fairly recent fiberglass 16-17 ft center console boat with a 4 stroke motor to fish solo on Finger Lakes. If anything interesting out there I'll get his contact info.
  17. Great fish and really nice photo as well..the clouds and chop in the background make it pop
  18. I think that water is going to be pretty mixed up for a while temperature wise and otherwise
  19. The bottom line is no matter what the size of the boat when it is that rough out there you aren't able to fish the way you want (although someboats may be more comfortable than others) and have no control over your speed and presentation and this ='s no fun
  20. 5ft 9 inch Quantum rod (medium/heavy action) with a Shimano Bantam Mag reel with 10 lb Power Pro
  21. The thing is it doesn't take much of an opening for water to do its damage over time and much of the time the places are either hidden or obscured in some way so the internal damage itself isn't detected. The location of the "culprit' also isn't always where you might think either and the water can travel distances to the place it does the damage. A good example s on house roofs the water can be wicked across the roof to the opposite side and leak there without it being apparent where it is coming from. If you are concerned I'd have it looked at by someone trusted that is knowledgeable regarding transom repair.
  22. Ben - Frogger's boat is pretty similar looking to yours and he did a truly exquisite job of restoring that transom so if yours needs it he is the guy to really listen to
  23. Geez....and here I thought it was a consspiracy of the fish gods because we were getting so good and taking all the fish.....oh thats right... I forgot to take my medication Lets hope the weather folks are wrong like usual for the tournament
  24. Use weights on the copper to get it down further and dipseys on wire you'll save yourself some headaches.
×
×
  • Create New...