Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. I'm pretty sure they will work then. Usually the herring are prepared to stiffen up by various methods. If artificials work then something like that with natural scent should. certainly worth a try.
  2. Ah OK I haven't used them that way. Are you actually able to get fresh sardines anywhere but near salt water? I should think canned ones would be way too mushy to try. I've used sardines live and dead in salt water with various rigs but not meat rigs per se for salmon. .
  3. You might want to specify exactly for what type of fishing I know your name might suggest a use but not sure if that is your question
  4. Why not just run from a separate 3 gas tank and eliminate the problem?
  5. Check your PM Mike
  6. Cool thx
  7. Thanks guys I have a bunch of different mounting gadgets including the paint stick one. Question I have is how do you know whether it is focused on the right area when it is up there as I can't get up that high in my baot without a ladder?
  8. You know Chas I have the 2002 135 Merc Optimax and before that I had a 35 horse Johnson 2 stroke and this 135 doesn't use as much gas as that 35 did as long as I don't totally open it up. I think they made some major improvements ingas economy during that time period.
  9. Tohatsu makes the small motors for Merc and Nissan I believe. They are very similar to the Merc models but not necessarily identical and are somewhat less expensive. There are some differences in them accounting for weight disparity.The Tohatsu models seem a bit lighter than the similar model Mercs. I do like it as it is real good on gas especially and trolls real well. I trolled for roughly 12 hrs. during a recent derby on 1 1/2 gals of gas vs. 3 1/2 gals. for 10 hrs. on my 2 stroke Johnson 9.9. I am able to steer my boat using just my big motor with no connector rod or anything and I have found that the 4 stroke is much better going into the wind and seems to have more torque while it does seem slower than my 2 stroke at top speed (6 mph vs 8 to 9 on my 2 stroke) maybe different gearing?
  10. I'm with Brian on this. One important difference between this guy and the average guy on the street doing it is that by signing on for and getting his Captains license he is held to a different standard because in that the position he holds a degree of public trust and credentials of professionalism (as does say a teacher) and he violated both aspects.
  11. Nice going John I haven't fished it in awhile and your report makes me want to do it again soon
  12. Kinda like biting the head off a herring ...
  13. Beautifully colored up male brown trout.
  14. Might want to check the positioning of your transducer on the transom if that type.
  15. One of the things I always wondered is if you were in fact on the water in posession of minnows and didn't have a receipt how would they be able to tell that the minnows weren't from that particular body of water? I guess the proof would be up to the individual in that instance to prove that they did and that would be a bit difficult for most species of bait. I don't think you can take bait from trout inhabited waters in any case for sale without a bait license.
  16. I think the key to it is "commercially" meaning a legitimate established business as contrasted with an indivdual for personal use or sale. As with most things the state does there is ambiguity in it but keep in mind the syllabus in the store is not the original complete regulation either.
  17. Lets hope things turn around at some point in the near future Ed....I keep hoping
  18. Nope. Chas I just make sure it is in the complete downward vertical position and locked there. I had the 2 stroke Johnson long shaft 9.9 on it for 14 years without any problems too. The base of the bracket is anchored on the hull with a double thickness of the starboard stuff inside and outside the transom with stainless bolts and I have never even had to reposition the motor or adjust anything at all on it.It is a good idea to periodically check the bolts and nuts for tightness on the bracket itself though.
  19. I agree about the time limit thing it isn't real practical. However you also aren't supposed to dump the unused minnows into any body of water either. Luke had indicated that he intended to salt or cure them so he could use them in other bodies of water and that is what I was referring to. Thus far I haven't seen anyone even checked for the receipt or date or ticketed regarding the issue but the intention of it is to try to stem the systemic spread of the virus.
  20. Chas the sticker above refers to the plate itself not the bracket so I think what they mean is that those recommendations relate to any bracket that is placed in the holder. Ihave both the stainless bracket and the aluminum one and went with the stainless one but then bolted through the hull with the starboard like material as a backing plate as I was concerned about the specifications on the holder. I have no problems with my 2016 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke trailering with the stainless garelick bracket set up the way I have it bolted through the hull transom
  21. I believe that removal plate (Garelick I think) may have a max. of 120 lbs. motor and usually the HP bracket capacities for four stroke motors are much less than for 2 strokes. I don't think the plate above itself is intended for a 9.9 Hp four stroke which probably weighs at or above the 120 lb max. capacity anyway. I know the one above is a bit different but may be the same issue. As far as a backing plate another option may be 3/4 or 1 inch Starboard material bolted through with stainless steel hardware. https://www.interstateplastics.com/King-Starboard-Black-Sheet-HDPBEM-K.php?sku=HDPBEM-K&vid=20170605155613-8p&dim2=12&dim3=24&thickness=0.750&qty=1
  22. Still have the potential stretch issue with the mono anyplace in the line although probably less in this case than with the entire line of mono.
  23. What it says is that only the bait that is prepared commercially can be used in other waters and even then you need to have the packaging available. Even bait that is certified can be used for only ten days whether dead or alive unless commercially prepared with the packaging available.
  24. Nice job on the video and I think the guy in the hoodie should have been drinking coffee as he was asleep at the switch on that fish Where/how did you mount the Go Pro....I'm still evaluating places and angles. Looks as though you have it worked out well.
×
×
  • Create New...