Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Nice work Slammin. You've got to be loving that Opti. I have the same one in salt water model
  2. Congrats on that great bow Sean....beautiful fish for Seneca derby or not
  3. Nice landlock Rollie ,Yeah I missed that one Alec.
  4. fisherdude you are "the man" because you did better than anyone I know or even talked with. Every single person said it was the toughest derby they have ever fished and that includes me as well. The first two days we fished 20 hours and never had a hit and tried everything I could think of and changed out lures more frequently than I ever have and 5 different core setups, coppers, downriggers cheated, with boards no boards and for many hours running three rigs (15 spoons) with additional core or copper on boards. It is the first time in my life that I have been skunked two days in a row in fresh or salt water. There were places we marked fish and good amounts of bait but they would not hit no matter what we tried. We managed two lakers this morning an 8 pounder and a 6 pounder and had one brief but aggressive hit right near bottom in 156 ft. We also went with old school stuff like Hemlock spinners, and gang hooks behind cowbells with bait. Out of desperation I even tried a flassher fly combo behind cowbells. I also like you used similar setups to the Gamblers so maybe the "real thing" makes a difference folks My hat is off to you and the Gambler rigs. Here is some of what I was using (drying out on driveway right now)on wire with 42 oz sinkers etc. depths from 40 - 167 right on and just off bottom with three to 4leaders above as well as without any. Guess I should have remembered to bring my scent too
  5. Nice shot of the lighthouse Nick and Theresa. Best of luck this season.
  6. Off to a good start Slammer now to put it together tomorrow....
  7. Good going Jason. You sure did better than anyone else I've talked with that was out there today.
  8. Lively I think you can take whatever Hank says to the bank....he really knows what he is talking about
  9. I think it may be noted that over the years not every one has had a boat or launched they used to heavily fish from shore along the seawall and off the rocks at the Chamber even etc. and wait until 6 AM to throw their lines in so in terms of consistency I would think it refers to lines in the water and not "launch time".
  10. Likewise good luck to all the LOU folks fishing the derby! stay safe!
  11. Hi Dre -A couple of things involved I think. I don't think the 6 AM start time on the first day refers to when you launch it is when you put your lines in the water. This may become real important in the event that you win or place highly because you are subject to a polygraph test (which I used to think was just to scare folks into doing the right thing) but apparently it is one of the questions asked (did you start before 6AM? ) according to a friend I know who was administered the polygraph so it isn't just a "scare tactic" the wrong answer could disqualify someone. Good luck out there tomorrow.
  12. I know I guess I am a glutton for punishment
  13. Those south end guys are probably still blowing up their fake fish and blow up dolls comeon...where is all the usual trash talking? Maybe its nap time out there....
  14. The males are very often (but not always) smaller than the gravid (egg bearing) females.
  15. Truly amazing! What a nice rig.
  16. Dave I had the same thing with my 2 stroke 9.9 intermittently and I narrowed it down to a couple of things the gas/oil mixture and the lean/rich setting on the motor itself. I had to play with it to get it right (the lean rich knob) but the air thing may be a distinct possibility I know sometime when I would forget to open the air intake on the tank itself it would run erratically too. I'd try looking at those things before spending the $$ on a new tank . Good luck with it.
  17. Welcome to LOU. I think you will find a lot of good info on this site and some very helpful people. Good luck fishing
  18. You're welcome Pap have a great season!
  19. Yes Nick is correct.....over the years the two have cycled back and forth and although many factors appear to be involved I wonder about the lamprey populations impacting the fishing in each of them. Lately I have noticed some pretty big adult lampreys on the lakers in Seneca and those adults can do some real damage on the fish over time. I haven't seen many juvenile lampreys and that is a good sign if accurate. On the downside I haven't been seeing nearly as many juvenile fish either.The presence of many juvenile lampreys may signal a real concern for upcoming years on Cayuga. Hope fully the lack of them on Senecamay reflect the fact that the previous lampracide treatments are taking effect on Seneca now but those adults have quite a long life cycle too.
  20. Thanks Jason very much for the offer hopefully I can take a "raincheck" on the offer for later on this season. My son Mark and I have fished this derby since he was a little kid as I know you and your dad did and we now have a brand new 9.8 kicker and it is all broken in now so we're really pumped for this one. Best of luck to you folks!
  21. It is half the fun making your own stuff....especially when it works out well Good luck with them.
  22. I've been on a couple on the ocean (fishing C ape Cod) and they handle the water beautifully.
  23. I think I told you she was a keeper the first time I met her Lets hope this is a "rig year" out there Jason.
  24. After fishing previously with Jason and Theresa on Seneca my money would be on Theresa as well and I think she is the best female driver I've seen in all the boats I've been on.
  25. I agree with fisherdude. The team approach is fine for the more hardcore events like the ones on Lake O but the Trout derby on Seneca has always been a family event where even young children can participate (each of mine did from an early age). The team format is more "rigorous" competitive environment than the current derby format and I think may spoil the family atmosphere of the the Seneca derby. No need to complicate things in that regard with increased rule structure etc. there are already enough of those highly competitive situations going on and I think it could turn off a lot of folks who aren't into that type of format. As it is things are relatively informal but "controlled" (e.g. polygraph testing") but more relaxed rule-wise. I fished the ESLO derbies and the Lake O stuff for years and it is a lot of fun and highly competitive but it isn't for everyone....The Seneca derby seems "special" in that regard and it would probably be wise from a survival standpoint to keep it that way with some of the "enhancements" currently being suggested, better prize structuring, and increased emphasis on advertising, and accessible updating of information. Just my two cents from fishing both types of derbies for the last 45 years or so .
×
×
  • Create New...