Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. :lol:
  2. The pinks that I have seen have full tail spotting with white around the outside of the mouth ( females especially although spawning males may have a blackish line on it) and the spotting on the tail is usually a pronounced oval shape if I remember correctly. I believe the accentuated forking of the tail may be from the way it was being held with the hand underneath. Adipose isn't spotted either as it would be in juvenile king
  3. I'm sure you will get some responses from the guys with all the interior lighting but since you didn't specify exactly I figured it might be of interest to folks new to the scene.
  4. It certainly depends on where you are talking about fishing. I've never done it other than trolling just after it gets dark or very early AM on Lake Ontario. I have however night fished for many years in the past on Keuka, Seneca and the south end of Canandaigua. We used to have a whole armada out at night on Canandaigua prior to the uptick in the salmon fishing on Lake O in the late 70's and early 80's. Many of the guys that did it came from the Rochester area in addition to the locals and many of them went on to get their charter licenses and shifted to Lake O fishing. There is no thrill like falling asleep in the night on your boat anchored in 100- 150 ft of water to the sound of a screaming drag with a huge rainbow brown or laker at the other end. . We used live sawbellies on five leader rigs with Coleman lanterns hung off our downrigger booms to draw the bait in. The bugs would come then the sawbellies up to the surface often with huge fish following them up. A very different type of fishing than most of us do now. You basically launched in the evening and stayed out all night and then if not much happened you'd troll for the morning.....a lot of fun. Once all the new stuff caught on people probably thought it was too much trouble (especially pulling anchor in 150 ft.)
  5. I've never had a problem with any of mine just reeling the swivel up to the tip. Even when the drag is completely off in storage it isn't a problem. I use 1 piece rods with roller tips and large swivel.
  6. Very cool! Thanks for updating us Andy.
  7. Immature Coho although it would have been nice to have had a better look at the mouth to see whether white gums at all. Tail spotting looks only on the upper half from pic which is consistent with Coho but on the pic can't tell dorsal spotting or not either. The tail spotting should be entire tail if it were a king. If the mouth is entirely black inside could also be a hybrid between chinook and coho.
  8. Sk8man

    Acid Wash

    Sounds good Jeff. Had a blast last time . Sean's info is a surprise to me as well but it makes real sense.
  9. Thanks guys. Mike you're always welcome on my boat bud. It would be great this season to go after some of those fussy little pecker heads together . I think this topic is a useful one and perhaps a first step in increasing awareness that there are existing problems as well as potential concerns if we keep doing "business as usual" without taking a close look at things and the possible consequences into the future. We are all in this together regardless of specific viewpoint or perspective.
  10. Sk8man

    Acid Wash

    Best of luck with it Jeff as it is really a beautiful boat.
  11. I had one removed from the right cheek on my face 3 weeks ago and they made a 2 inch incision by a plastic surgeon which has largely healed now. This stuff is nothing to mess around with. I'm now looking at getting some sort of extensions for my bimini and will be using sunscreen for sure from now on in stead of going with my top down and most of the time without sunscreen. It catches up with you over time and I sure don't want to go through this again. The sun exposure is accumulative over time so you well may not be aware of it and fair skinned folks are quicker to have it happen. Mine started out as just a little spot that itches then became sensitive to the touch and whitish in appearance so I thought at first it might be an ingrown hair but it didn't go away so I had it checked out....Glad I did because it was cancerous. I think this is a very timely topic with the season almost upon us.
  12. The nice thing about Sodus is that in the Spring if it gets too rough you can go to Plan B which is fishing in the Bay itself as the browns do go in there as well as other species and it is much more sheltered from many wind directions compared with the lake. The boulders have already been mentioned about near shore out in the lake but in the Bay there are some things to watch out for as well. The area just to your left when coming in the channel and heading toward Conleys Cove to the east has large boulders just under the surface in some places which can take out a prop as well as extremely shallow water in spots. On the east side right along shore area number of pilings and concrete remnants of previous docks (e.g. west side of Newark Island) which can be barely submerged depending on water levels so run boards there in while staying out a bit.
  13. I've got 300 ft of 32 lb copper and 900ft of 40 lb Power Pro and there is still a little room
  14. :lol: Both good answers thanks
  15. A couple of serious questions Mark: a. Does the D stand for dental in the "D loop"? b. Can you still get the floss to go through your teeth afterward?
  16. There are surely a lot of ways to do this and Mark certainly has investigated further into it than most of the rest of us. I wasn't previously aware of that method so thanks for sharing it. I have been using the #8 SPRO power swivel (and others previously) for years with the haywire knot but i don't tighten the loop part itself hard to the swivel I let it form a little loop so that there is little stress on it because it can slide back and forth a bit and I have never had any problems whatsoever (and no visible wear on the copper loop itself) with it and the swivel comes through the eye of the rod and the level wind mechanism fine on my reels. No matter which method you choose or any knot for that matter you need to have confidence in it and that may involve experimenting with different setups.
  17. For fishing the depth you refer to I'd think about the 83/200 CHIRP transducer but it could be that you'd see your riggers at 100 plus better with the 50/200 if you are running them deep.
  18. I don't think anyone has said "stay home and don't go fishing anymore". It is also not the case that there aren't ANY perch still out in the lake but rather that some areas where perch are vulnerable are being too heavily fished (e.g. Sampson marina), over limits are being taken, undersized perch are being harvested, that the sale of them is a problem, and that there are a number of problems with the lake itself that are disturbing. I have seen the bottom of the lake via friends cameras recently and it does not even remotely resemble the way things have looked over the last 60 plus years during the various "cycles" referred to. I too have seen the bottom carpeted for hundreds of yards in the past and multitudes of weedbeds in the shallows with huge pike, panfish and smallmouth near them. Last week I spoke at length with a recently retired charter captain I used to fish with and have known for over 40 years and he was of the same opinion and he has probably caught more perch than anyone in the Finger Lakes and knows the perch habits as well as anyone. The problems are for real but there are still fish to be caught out there but before that totally changes for the worse a closer look needs to be taken regarding what is going on out there and some things implemented to lessen the impact where possible. The selling of perch, over harvesting, and keeping grossly undersized perch are things that some things can be acted upon and it is about time to do it. There certainly are times when you can see the perch are fussy and they won't bite no matter what you try and especially in crystal clear water as is often the case now and this has always been the case on Seneca and everywhere else at times for that matter. Sometimes they are just stuffed with other available food like freshwater shrimp etc.
  19. The 50/200 is usually thought of as a deep water (primarily salt water) transducer that has supposedly been "optimized" for that use while the 83/200 transducer is a shallower water use transducer (primarily fresh water use). You may get a little better definition in shallower water with the 83/200 (non- CHIRP I'm assuming) transducer. Airmar makes great transducers for particular uses and situations which may relate to your specific boat situation and their techs could advise you if you have special needs or circumstances (e.g. in hull installation etc.). The Lowrance 83/200 transducer is not a bad choice for the price in my opinion and if it were me I'd probably get one and substitute it for the other and see the results and if you didn't like it i should think it would be a pretty easy resale on here or keep for a "backup" without being out a whole lot of money. If you have an in hull currently or are desiring it I'd look seriously at the Airmars (after speaking with the techs regarding specific model and usage as there are many different options).
  20. Nice going! Healthy looking specimens too. Would look even better n the grill
  21. A few things are noteworthy from this interesting video. Many of those fish spotted the line (way too heavy and should have been either light fluoro or mono for the part that showed and there was way too much bait on the hook (should have just enough to cover the hook and especially the point and the hook was quite big for them. Whoever was on the other end didn't even feel 60 percent or more of the bites. I was a bit surprised that the perch didn't totally scatter when old Esox showed up Cool video.
  22. A worm harness works here on the Finger Lakes for rainbows too John. For those unfamiliar with them (worm harness = small set of blades somewhat like cowbells with a nightcrawler or plastic worm trailing behind it). I use them with a 1 ounce weight on a three way swivel within the first 40 ft or so from the surface and sometimes behind small dipseys.
  23. Along that line standard clinch knots are not recommended for use with braid because they can slip.
  24. Probably 10 -12 ft difference but depending on speed for each too
×
×
  • Create New...