-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
-
-
I think the 27 H's are pretty small for the task.I can get 300 yds of 30 lb on a 47H so my hunch is you would be in the 220 yd range max on a 27H. I wouldn't run wire on the 27H because you should have a little backing as well (I know others will say you don't need it but Tuna Tom instructs folks to use some to protect the reel) and you'd want 1,000 ft of wire which would be well beyond the capacity of that reel.
-
All good advice here. I can empathize with BSmaster. I never had a credit card until my mid thirties always paid cash for everything. When I tried to get a mortgage for my first house they said you have no credit history. I said but I don't owe anything to anybody. They said doesn't matter you would be in better shape credit wise if you did owe money but had a successful payment history. you might want to think about the overall picture here and your future (hard to do at 20 I know but necessary). It took me over 20 years to save the nearly $50,000 for my boat (taken from retirement deferred compensation separate from my retirement) but I still took out a loan for it and then paid the loan off (small interest payment first) and it boosted my credit rating, and no monthly payments which spread over say 10 years would have at least doubled the original amount . It pays to really think it through.
-
Hughes 8/10
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
Wanted Wanted Sutton Spoons 31's and 44's
Sk8man replied to Art Benham's topic in Classifieds - Buy, Sell, Trade or Rent
I have a couple of the original Sutton Spoons from the turn of the century or early 1900's Here is what they looked like back in the day: And also some Geneva spoons from the same era. My grandfather used each of these spoons on Seneca Lake in the early 1900's Notice the hooks were soldered in place back then and one of the Sutton's has the original old type swivel at the front as do three of the Geneva spoons P.S. They will NEVER be for sale -
-
I think rolmops might have nailed it....sure sounds like it.
-
It does sound as though something is between the intake and the pump and at low speed it is being fully blocked and then opening up under speed.
-
Put a ziplock bag full of ice around the ferrule hold it on there a few minutes and then try.
-
Hughes 8/10
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
WTG Marty! great report and....how could anyone be older than you? (maybe me though ) Glad to see you've turned the corner and are now a bonefide rig fisherman! I don't even dare to think about going out on Canandaigua during a weekend right now....yesterday.... looked like a couple hundred trailers a the the launch....must have been real fun with the usual everyone coming back in the launch at the same time in the evening
-
Hughes 8/10
Sk8man replied to Frogger's topic in New York Fishing Reports - Lake Ontario (South Shore)
-
-
Yep I do too Mike sometimes two of them staggered in length but that is a lot different than running a full sized set on leadcore near bottom I usually point my downriggers straight back so they are closer together and stagger the cowbells so that one set serves as an attractor for the other set..at least that is my strategy...not sure what the fish are thinking
-
I think rather than risking hanging up a cannonball and losing a leadcore rig I'd just go conventional and use a rod set up for cowbells with a heavy weight (32oz sinker) and bounce bottom with that...much more control over it and less risky. I use a n SWR (secret weapon rig) which is what you are describing but not with cowbells mostly with a spoon. The cowbell approach with leadcore gives much less control moving over a changing bottom structure.
-
-
No for about 3 to 3 1/2 months....guess I was kinda quick on the draw Ray....but I guess I missed a chance to mess with your mind though didn't I?
-
I'd like to qualify or "rectify" something before it generates questions....the disparity in the speeds mentioned by Brian (Gambler or maybe should be called "Mr.Laker" ). I've fished cowbells (formerly called flashers) for lakers on all the Finger Lakes where they occur ( for more than 40 years) and also fished for them on Lake Ontario and in my view both of us may be correct. While most of my fishing is on lakes like Seneca, Keuka, Cayuga and Owasco etc. Brian fishes them intensely primarily (and very successfully) on Lake Ontario. The lake currents in these bodies of water (and indeed on each of the Finger Lakes for that matter) are very different in many respects and they are always varying in direction, intensity, location, and duration and change often even within different sections of these bodies of water on a given day or sometimes within hours with wind changes. Lake Ontario seemingly has very diffuse but strong current compared with the other smaller bodies. When trolling flashers you want to be trolling against or across (e.g. diagonally) but NOT WITH the current to be most successful with flashers (or most other methods). This is for a number of reasons but most importantly all the blades will revolve better and your weight won't hang up as easily and the action of the lure whether it be peanut, Spin-N-Glow or spoon, or cut bait etc. will be much livelier. With stronger currents (Lake O) the cowbells have much more resistance against the front of the blades so the trolling speed may be reduced from what it is in less strong current (some of the Fingers). I also assume that the .7 -1.7 is the down speed. My reference is to GPS as I don't have a down speed indicator. Most of the time the rod tips and feel of the rod guide my speed (looking for that rhythmically pulsating tip). The bottom line is if you are fishing Lake O with flashers follow Brian's advice the slower the better usually and if fishing the Fingers you may want to take into consideration what I mentioned above.









