Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Right now the fleas are very thick in many bodies of water and when they get that bad they stick to just about anything including wire or special flea lines (especially at connection points). They even coat downrigger cables ....so much for the "large diameter line" theory Copper seems to be a little better than the other lines in this regard but any connection points (e.g. leader attachments) are still going to get hammered by the fleas when they are real thick. The fleas vary in density throughout bodies of water and within the water column itself and often are found in "patches" when not in exrtreme density. It also seems that the more VERTICAL your line is (regardless of type) the more fleas seem to attach to it. It seems that the only way to minimize the impact when they are thick is to check your lines VERY frequently to prevent massive buildups and many folks are just not willing to do this....I view it as an opportunity to change lures and presentations. Once the water temps go back down in the Fall the flea problem should greatly reduce.
  2. I can give you the location of 30 of them if you can recover them.....500ft of water off the south east end of the barge in the middle of Seneca Lake ....no joke if you are successful I'd appreciate getting the 30 bead chains back though
  3. Right now the fleas are very thick in many bodies of water and when they get that bad they stick to just about anything including wire or special flea lines (especially at connection points). They even coat downrigger cables .....so much for the "large diameter line" theory Copper seems to be a little better than the other lines in this regard but any connection points (e.g. leader attachment) are still going to get hammered by the fleas when they are real thick. The fleas vary in density throughout bodies of water and within the water column itself and often are found in "patches" when not in exrtreme density. It also seems that the more VERTICAL your line is (regardless of type) the more fleas seem to attach to it. It seems that the only way to minimize the impact when they are thick is to check your lines VERY frequently to prevent massive buildups and many folks are just not willing to do this....I view it as an opportunity to change lures and presentations. Once the water temps go back down in the Fall the flea problem should greatly reduce.
  4. As always great info and approach to fishing Kevin. Learning is a continual process in life (if you are receptive to it) and the longer you go on the more you realize that you have much more to learn and that there are no magic answers and true shortcuts that substitute for actual experience.....books and opinions, and answers to questions are all "starting points" and only that. Getting that experience involves commitment, time and energy expenditure and as Justin so eloquently put it "You have to love it too".
  5. Good report rolmops and sounds like you some of the same kind of "lookers" we had
  6. Might check at one of the marinas for a map of the lake and bay. There is a launch at Arney's Marina (pretty busy especially on weekends and fee based) that is right on the main road coming from the south (Route 14 N) if you come in from points north or Rt#104 (East or West).The marina will be on the right if you come to town that way and is just before town. Just past Arney's is a public launch that will also be on the right and there is public parking across the road on your left (you'll see vehicles and trailers there and porta potties). There is a launch in town at Warren's tackle shop (Grieg Street) and it is also fee based. Another launch is near the Coast Guard Station out near the pier and channel but it is only operative when the beach season closes (after Labor Day I think and before the season starts in the Spring). There are others at other marina's but they are probably not generally accessible to the public.
  7. Thanks again for the great time Mike.
  8. I hear ya Guppiekilla and I'll bet there were other folks in the "group" out there experiencing the same thing today.
  9. Frogger, Signalman (the 2 Mikes) and I left Hughes about six ish this morning and dropped 8 lines with various stuff starting out at 100ft of water(wires, coppers, downriggers (spinneys//fly, flasher/fly and straight spoons). Throughout the morning we changed out several times trying many different things including my fake meat rig which looked great in the water but never took a hit during the time it was out. We trolled out from 100 ft out to over 200 and nailed a king about 22 pounds or so on a rigger with spinny and fly set at 85 over about 120. After quite a while we took another shot on a riggger at 85 ft over 160, and it was about a 15 lb king. We had a couple coppers out (a 350 and a 380 one with fly the other with just an NK spoon) and they never had a touch. We tried lots of things on the wire rigs and likewise never a touch. The temps were all over the place the entire time out. We only marked a couple bait pods and the fish marked were up in the upper part of the water column and we dragged all sorts of stuff through them without success although we had a number of "lookers". We ranged in speed from 1.9 to about 2.8 and I think we may have been about 2.3-2.5 when we connected with the kings. Each king had an adult lamprey attached and we were able to bring them both into the boat and make 4 out of them . The fleas were terrible. They even coated the downrigger cable and long strands were on the rigger lines and wire rigs. The coppers were a bit better. Biggest king released the other kept because of difficulty getting hook out....couldn't revive him. I had a great time busting and joking around etc. and the boat fished beautifully. It certainly makes things easier when a rig is set up perfectly and everything functions flawlessly.....really nice boat to fish from and beautifully layed out.
  10. Sweet! wsy to go Ed....kinger must have made the lure selections again
  11. It wil atke awhile for the difference to show up but it is well worth the effort for the DEC
  12. It could be worse fellas....I'm assigned as the designated driver today for a tour of the Finger Lakes wineries for my daughter's boyfriends parents....have to save myself for arising early for salmon fishing in the AM
  13. X2 on the 7 ft. medium Ugly stix. I don't have them (I have several 8 ft 3 inch rods) but I've used them and they are great!
  14. Ed, we had the worst hardest rain I've ever experienced along with thunder and lightning and HAIL about the size of a dime about 5:45 this morning....unreal!
  15. WTG! You have to get them into it before they discover boys then it's all over but the shouting
  16. Always great to share a day like that with other folks and especially kids.
  17. Great report Bob. I do some jigging once in awhile and it helps that I have ice fished all my life and that is what your account reminded me of....waiting around for them to become active a flurry of bites and then somebody hits the shut off button Nice going. I laughed like hell at your comment about (in my words) going from zero to hero with the jigging techniques....we've all felt that "what the f" feeling when wee were doing the usual stuff and it isn't working
  18. I know what you mean about the glasses ED I don't ever take any good ones with me anymore in the boat just "cheapo" reading glasses because I have a bad habit of keeping them in my shirt pocket and then leaning over the side of the boat to rig stuff....bye bye
  19. WTG John You seem to have found a pretty good way to get your "salmon fix" till your return to Lake O someday Great report and fish. It's also good to keep in practice for the "big boys" too and hopefully looking on the bright side...NO FLEAS .
  20. I echo PD Buoy's statement and I've been a mail order customer since they opened in the 60's. It may be convenient for locals but it sucks for the rest of us who are now stuck with the sales tax crap.
  21. You should be OK Matt. I've used my cannon (extendable booms) downriggers out of Cannon gimble mounts and they don't rock at all and that would be less distributed torque I would think
  22. One of the problems may be the pedestal mount.... the higher up you go from the surface of the gunwale with the downrigger extended laterally the more increased the torque transferred to the gunwale surface. You may want to try using them with a low profile swivel base (such as the one Cannon makes and drill your own holes in a plate to fit.
  23. I haven't purchased them in a long time (ordered hundreds long ago) but I think Jann's Netcraft may still have them. Here you go Dre: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Search/crimp%20sleeves.aspx
×
×
  • Create New...