Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/28/asian-carp-great-lakes/3289387/
  2. Bazooka Joe I understand your point of view but the primary reason for this thread is to consolidate information on this very specific topic based on the actual experiences and expertise of our forum members for the benefit of all but especially newcomers. Searching the site or the Web can be a valuable tool or option but it is also time consuming and in that regard....an inefficient way to readily gather useful current information. If folks find Youtube videos or other useful sites the URL can be cut and pasted here when someone runs across them rather than "weeding through" all the stuff that may or may not be worth looking at. We have a great resource here on this site in the way of experience and knowledge and expertise and many people are very generous in sharing it with others and I commend them for it.
  3. I know this might sound goofy but what about placing and fastening a small diameter section of hose (say about double that of aquarium stuff and out of the way) just out from the corner where it is collecting and run it into the bilge area. If fastening is a problem marine adhesive sealant could be used. When the boat is on plane it should empty out by gravity flow. Another possibility is small diameter pvc pipe cut lengthwise and beveled at the leading edge so that it fits close to the bottom and run it toward the bilge. If worse came to worse could you install the smallest size possible bilge pumps in the corners so they come on automatically when water pools there? Sounds as though something is needed in any case to "channel" the pooled water towards the bilge. I'm not familiar with the internal areas of the Islander so if this is "out there" disregard ...just trying to think of ideas.
  4. Congrats Justin! It almost makes me want to get out my Ben Pearson Signature take down recurve and 125 grain broadheads and get back out there That's how long it has been since I've hunted Les
  5. Sweet!
  6. Just send the link you make on either device in an email to yourself and then open it up on the other device. You can then cut and paste it from there to LOU
  7. Hopefully folks posting will explain things too (what they are and how they work...maybe a pic (if possible) when mentioned for the benefit of new folks....for example "teasers, tournament rigs, Kingfisher flasher etc.). We get used to the terminology etc. and often don't realize it may not be familiar to people new to the scenes thx Les
  8. Always best to store them inside in consistent temperature. While cold temps affect them corrosion from moisture is even more of a potential problem...The flashers anddepth finders used for ice fishing were designed to be out in the cold temps but I bring my stuff inside when I come home and never leave it out in winter.....also relating to the batteries as I recharge after each use.
  9. Hi Frank, As Bob mentioned the ramp is located at the Seneca Lake State Park about a mile or so east of Geneva (toward Waterloo on Routes #5 and 20). There is park entrance right out onto that road (you can see the toll gate shack from it). Just follow the road in the park toward the pavillion area and the ramp and parking will be on your left. I'm not sure what the parking setup will look like at this point...we used to park on the lawn. P.S. I used to live at the Holley Arms apartments when I went to Brockport Frank...and I operated the Brockport Main Street bridge for a couple years and also occasionally the Holley/Hulberton bridges
  10. You know Ed.....when you have a boat that really works for you....it may pay to consider just a new engine and maybe a "small "makeover" ...that is what I would be considering. Basically a boat for me is a "platform" to fish from but I also had to be able to use it as a "pleasure craft" a few times during the summer (wife and daughter) so I didn't select the Outrage model which is designed specifically for fishing...I converted mine into a usable but not perfect fishing platform but multipurpose boat. I am so used to it now that if things got screwed up with the engine I wouldn't even consider getting a new boat...just the motor....expensive but not like a whole new rig....and you answer the major issue - reliability while keeping your "familiarity" stuff intact....just a thought...Les
  11. A number of folks have asked questions regarding the setting up of meat rigs and the use of cut bait in general. There is a long history of its use in both fresh and salt water and in principle it is one of the oldest methods of fishing and especially trolling (and drift fishing). I thought it could be useful to start a thread specifically dealing with this topic with the hope that folks with expertise in the use of these very effective techniques might offer "specifics" that might help others here and especially new people to the forum or trout and salmon fishing in general. I know there are many Youtube videos (of varying quality and there has been previous commentary here but I thought it might be helpful to have some current input all in one place or thread. There is certainly an "old school" and "new school" flavor to this topic and I'm hoping also that some of the charter guys and our north shore (Canadian) brothers will give input too as a lot of them are very experienced with the newer stuff. What are some of the specific setups used, (distances run,leader length, behind dipseys, Spinneys or flashers etc.) particular baits found to be productive or more effective (e.g. cost effective/longer lasting etc.)? Any pics also might be particularly helpful especially to "newcomers". The pics came in out of sequence so I re-adjusted #1 and #2 numbering For reference sake I'm attaching pics of basic stuff ( so people will know what some of the objects themselves look like. There are many different ways to set up these things so these pics are only basic representations not actual setups PIC #2 - Cowbells (used to be called "flashers") with a sawbelly (Alewife) gang hook setup. The forward single hook slides for adjustment and is hooked in the mouth of a (usually frozen) sawbelly and then "scrunched up" so that it will twirl and roll in the water A weight of varying size is attached to the "rudder"of the cowbells to achieve depth and it is often run just off bottom for Lake Trout. PIC #1 - Cowbells with a "hemlock spinner" (made by Sutton) that has a treble hook with one hook modified so that is open at the "eye end" and can be slid on and off after a sawbelly is "threaded" on and the treble hook replaced and the bait bent so it will twirl or roll. PIC#3 - "Meat rigs" stored on foam. There are many types of "heads" and riggings and beads and other things can be added as well. PIC #4 - Meat rig - I used this as just one VERY basic example. Basically usually a commercially prepared (special brines used) herring is placed in the "head" and a toothpick used to secure it (end broken off after inserted) and the bait is bent to the users preference so that it twirls or rolls in the water when trolled.... again....folks have their preferences as to how it is rigged and I know that since Rys Davis isn't offering their bait that Familiar Bite and Erie Deerie are the more popularly used now.... THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR RESPONSES
  12. Ed, I don't know what you are trailering with but considering the price range.....I'd also be considering a glass boat where you may have a greater range of features to select from....just a thought....and if weight and towing concerns are the primary consideration that is another "animal" too.
  13. Wow! never even thought about that....very scarey! Thanks for posting it Gill
  14. Nick - I know it is a ways from Watkins but rolmops suggestion regarding Rick Martecello at Power Marine on North Road here in Canandaigua is a good one. He knows his stuff and does many of the tournament bass boats in the area (is a sponsor I believe too) and fishes himself (as does his wife). Earlier in his career he worked on stuff for one of the space shuttles too...good dude...Vietnam Vet. Les P.S. He is the guy that fixed my Opti when I had the problem during this past Trout Derby that you won
  15. Thanks Nautitroller! You made my day
  16. Some of the best fights I've ever had on ultralight tackle has been the much maligned carp (mostly caught accidentally)
  17. Some years back on Seneca my son and I were perch fishing in shallow and a huge northern surfaced and was doing just what has been described and we watched as we got closer we noticed he had a large perch caught in his throat with the tail sticking out his mouth...apparently the perch had put up his dorsal and the spines got stuck in the pikes throat and the perch probably had his gills flared as well.....looked like a "standoff"
  18. Welcome to LOU and best of luck with your upcoming fishing adventures!
  19. I forgot to mention.....they extended the concrete further into the water and beveled the edge where it meets the bottom (instead of the 3 ft plus"drop off" that caught some axels in the past during low water (including mine) Les
  20. You're right about the lake level being down right now....but the thing I was referring to is where the dredging ended (too short) at the Woodville launch. You can see it right from the dock that they didn't go out far enough. Mike's comment does serve as a reminder though that the channel at the north end has its concerns as well during low water conditions....I had a $200 prop repair to my SS prop about three years ago because of it (during November). There was a metal object of some kind at the bottom of the center part of the channel about 100 ft south of the Inn on the lake breakwall.
  21. I had occasion to be in Geneva today so I figured I'd take a look at the lake while there so I first took a look near the chamber of commerce construction site and saw only one small boat (about 12ft with two guys in it at about 20-25ft of water out in the wind (see pic #1). I was thinking to myself "man...it is pretty rough and windy to be out in that boat today".....so I then went down to the State Park to see about the status of the new launch ramp (see pics #2-4). After that I continued on untiI I was looking west toward the guys in the little boat while I watched the roughly 40 ft long Hobart and William Smith research vessel coming back in....here's what I saw......(pic#5) Those were some crazy perch fishermen anchored up there...even for Seneca
  22. Hi Dre, I think we may have just "grazed" it on the way out of the ramp too.
  23. Cool! Nice going.....perseverance pays off once again They certainly are an elegant fish....
  24. Eye Spy....I have heard of it but thus far haven't looked into it...thanks for reminding me I'll have to take a look at it. Mostly Muskies - I guess if you have a method that works ...that is all that is important in the final analysis - not the technicalities.. and I sure wasn't criticizing you personally in any way so I want to make that clear....I was reacting only to the details of the comment itself. My comment may have come off more strongly than intended now that I look back at it. I guess underlying my comments is that fact that I feel that a lot of the time we are much too reliant on the technology itself and make a lot of assumptions (myself included) about it that may or may not be accurate.
×
×
  • Create New...