Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. Nice work! The fish Gods should be smiling on you guys for a while. It's a nasty feeling being left vulnerable in the water with a dead engine and it's great you folks responded with a wonderful gesture. That narrowing of the buoys didn't help your efforts either....it's bad enough with a solitary large boat coming through there now. Good going Flx Troutman
  2. Dick, Those smallies sure are aggressive and a lot of folks are fooled into thinking they are only shallow water fish. I've caught them on Seth green rigs 80 or 90 ft down over 300 ft of water as well as huge ones jerking copper at the north end with both pfleugers and twin minnows in the Spring while after lakers. Hope you got the motor thing straightened out OK. Les
  3. Sk8man

    Seneca perch

    Just outside Branchport (east off of 54A) Sign for Keuka State Park follow the road past the beach area a few hundred yards. Lot of great wineries on/near Keuka too
  4. Nice going Trouthunter....wish I could have joined you out there Saturday but the lawn had my total attention
  5. Sometimes our fingers don't quite keep up with our brains (or visa versa ) either way no harm done....main thing is report results right?
  6. Wow deja vu ....I had a $200 camera taken last year right there at the ramp when I went to get my vehicle and left the boat unattended.... it is a real sucky feeling....I sure hope you recover it . The last time out I saw a bunch of blankets and other stuff etc. on that table too that someone had left behind easy to do when in a hurry.
  7. Sweet! I can taste those eyes from here....breaded with Panko and baked even....
  8. Nice eye! Nobody said fishing isn't expensive.....my wife has said numerous times "Why are all your hobbies so expensive"? You may want to look along the shoreline later for your Rapala if you were in a place that isn't heavily traveled. I've picked up some of mine that way (as well as others) You may have a few with Justin's name on them too
  9. Go get em Justin! You deserve them fishing in this weather bud. Les
  10. Pap and Dick - I've had occasion to exchange information with Gator and I assure you he is sincere and a humble fisherman but one who knows his stuff and is a good sportsman....and like a lot of us he jokes around a bit. Take his apology as genuine....he was just messing around and it was misinterpreted. It is one of the disadvantages of using humor online or in emails too. The person on the other end can't see your facial expressions or body language and the humor gets lost in the words alone because our language is very ambiguous.....he was just kidding around as he said. Les
  11. Justin, We'll get out there one of these days again when the wind isn't up like when we cancelled on Seneca. I look forward to it too. In the meantime...best of luck with the hunting Les
  12. I was a bit hesitant to upgrade to the Pro version at first because of the"title" but I then realized it mainly reflects the version of the software features (no adds, additional resources etc.) rather than denoting the person as a fishing "professional" ....I mainly felt the need to contribute to the maintenance cost of the site because of it's value and the fact that Chad works diligently to keep it "top notch". I feel that it is one of the best fishing websites I've ever seen and I gladly support it....best value out there for $20. I also think the other guys out there who are supporting it feel the same way.....it is something that needs to be "kept going" and "thanks" Dick for doing your part.
  13. Sk8man

    Seneca perch

    The Fall fishing can be real good too. In closer for the perch, jigging for the trout and I forgot to mention that in the other post...jigging for the lakers in the winter as well. There is usually some open water winter fishing in the Branchport arm (when it doesn't freeze over) from the boat launch at the State park too and good jigging right in that area. You might want to check things out BEFORE winter snow etc. to get a feel of things.
  14. Great post Justin .Dave - I can relate. My best buddy died right in my office after we went out to lunch. He was 48 years old and his heart "blew up"...nothing could be done. CPR the whole9 yards. . I had to work there 2 more years seeing his image every day I went in to work...I retired after2 years of it. We worked and fished together....just have to remember the "good times" I guess.
  15. Sk8man

    Seneca perch

    Jimmyi - On the real good side of things...you have access to the lake and parking (I am assuming and I'm envious) . Also on the plus side...it is real good perch fishing in that area through the ice. On the potential downside the lake is irratic in how it freezes from year to year and sometimes the ice down that far isn't real safe and ice fishing is pretty much from the Penn Yan end to about a mile or so south of the water treatment plant. You'll notice I said SAFE ice.... a couple years ago my son and I witnessed a paraplegic in a wheel chair out on 3 inches of ice in a 4 wheeler with an ambulatory guy helping him.....never should have been out there with any kind of vehicle or such weight. The wind came up briskly and blew all his equipment across the ice so my son and I had to run to rescue it because the guys were going to go after it on the 4 wheeler the ice was less than 3 inches and marginal for one person actually....unreal! All around the area toward and out from the college is pretty good....sometimes they are found in about 30 ft. or so too but most of the time 20 or less.Minnows are usually the ticket while jigging and rubber as well as spikes on 4 lb test line and sometimes a 4 lb fluoro leader. Sometimes you'll get into the big smallies too and it's fun. If you are lucky you'll run into some of the jumbo perch that rival those on Seneca. Jigging seems more productive there > Tip-ups usually call in the pickerel and bass in the shallower depths. If you are after lake trout they are also out towards the middle and usually hugging bottom in the winter An effective way to get them is with cowbells (flashers to us old timers ) with a peanut or Sutton spoon behind it and often with a "cheater" leader with spoon about 6 ft. above the cowbells> It can be done a number of ways. If you need any more specifics on the openwater trout stuff feel free to PM me . I know you were mostly askjng about open water fishing but I figured I'd include the ice stuff for others as well while at it. Les
  16. I hope they make it. They are pretty cool fish...right out of the stone age (and before). They seem to be making it in Lake O OK.
  17. Ed you have a PM ( I tried to send it to Kinger but he didn't reply) Les
  18. Plus "Mr. Happy" disappeared into his backbone
  19. Thx Marty.
  20. Kinger makes all the spoon selections anyway ....that's why he always has that smile on his face He just gets Ed to pay for them...
  21. I've always stuck with just the pics...put the money into more tackle and "upgrades"
  22. WTG Marty. This sure is the time of year for great pics. Les
  23. Thanks Ed and Justin (and all the rest out there that share info and especially all the Finger Lakes dudes :>)...I always look forward to your reports and learn from them too. We each kinda have our "specialties "that dial into our target species and it really is helpful to share that info instead of past practices of people keeping things to themselves. and "guarding" the info ...I can see it with the charter guys and guides to a degree...but most of them are also very open these days as well and that says a lot for them as well as the sport itself.
  24. Hey Mike hopefully the bow fishing will hold up for your tournament....they sure are active right now. I forgot to mention that one of the 4 pounders streaked right up from 72 ft. and grabbed tht 50 ft. downrigger lure....it was a "classic" kinda like watching perch on the Vexilar flasher zoom come up to the jig and then hit it while ice fishing. Better get out here while they are active Sean....work can always wait It just dawned on me while writing this how great it is being able to share our experiences and "good days" with each other ....folks who actually understand our sport and get "into" the details....this may contrast sharply with the experience of coming home and telling our spouses who may respond with "That's nice dear" or kids that may say " Sweet....can I borrow the car keys" and we're left scratching our head. Thank heaven for the LOU website Les
×
×
  • Create New...