Wire backing

Chinook Chaser,

I've been using the Reel Fill Calculator (found on this website or other locations online) to fill my reels and it seems to be pretty accurate providing you use the correct information. I generally shoot for about 90-92% fill, never over 95% filled, otherwise you're liable to be overfilled, and take it from me, removing and refilling the reel is a PITA. Looking quickly at your situation, it looks like the Daiwa Saltist 50 has a stated line capacity of 350 yds./30lb. mono, or 310 yds./40lb. mono. Using the calculator and assuming that your wire is 1000ft.@ .015 dia., looks like you would need 900ft. (300yds.) of 20 lb. mono backing (@.018 dia.) or 495ft. (165yds.) of 40 lb. mono backing (@.024 dia.) to get to 95% filled. I suggest using mono because it's way cheaper than braid and, with 1000ft. of wire, I seriously doubt you would ever get down to the backing anyway. As far as attaching the mono to the wire, I have been using an Albright knot, which is easy to tie and slides through the rod guides and levelwind eye just fine. You could probably use a small barrel swivel instead of the Albright knot, again, probably never going to get down that far anyway. Here is a link to the Reel Fill Calculator I use: https://www.thesouthend.org/index.php/resources/reel-fill-calculator

Hint: Some of the capacities entered in the calculator are in yards, some are in feet. Make sure you use the correct ones,

10 hours ago, Chinook Chaser said:

I have a Diawa Saltist 50lch on my diver rod. A 1000ft spool of wire doesn't fill up the spool so the line counter is not accurate. I need to know what I type of backing I should use, how much to use and how to attach it to the wire. 

250-300' of 20# mono would be good. Connect the two with an albright knot.