Transducer in hull vs thru hull

I have a Garmin 7610xsv and a transom transducer that works great at below 5 mph. I want to spot fish and structure at 10-20 mph. Should I replace the transom transducer with a thru hull or in hull type? I fish in Lake Erie max depth about 130 ft. Thank you for your opinion. Irv

I think your first thought should be to check the setup of your current transom mount transducer and make sure it is set up properly on your transom. You should be able to see fish going at that speed if you have the correct transducer for your unit and it is set up properly on your particular hull.

13 hours ago, walleye chop said:

I have a Garmin 7610xsv and a transom transducer that works great at below 5 mph. I want to spot fish and structure at 10-20 mph. Should I replace the transom transducer with a thru hull or in hull type? I fish in Lake Erie max depth about 130 ft. Thank you for your opinion. Irv

Thru hull if it's a fiberglass boat.

Edited by spoonfed-1

I have a fiberglass boat (Whaler) and an older Lowrance Elite unit with a transom mounted transducer and I can mark them going consistently 20-30 mph and bottom etc. around 40. That is why I said what I said before going through the process of installing a through hull.

21 hours ago, walleye chop said:

fwiw I have a garmin gt54 transducer on the transom of my boat and after playing around with the adjustment angle I was able to mark fish/bottom at 20+mph with the scroll speed turned up.  (They just look like yellow dots). Think I just had to move it one click on the bracket….just can’t remember if it was up or down.