Looking for mate position for 2024 or advice/mentorship on starting a charter

Cusefan315

Hi guys. I have a lot of hours logged on lake O mating and fishing with my dad. I’m about to take a captains course and hope to either mate or find some type of mentorship on getting into the business the right way. Any advice on where to begin is appreciated. I can commute to salmon, little salmon and Oswego. Thanks in advance!

On 9/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, Cusefan315 said:

Hi guys. I have a lot of hours logged on lake O mating and fishing with my dad. I’m about to take a captains course and hope to either mate or find some type of mentorship on getting into the business the right way. Any advice on where to begin is appreciated. I can commute to salmon, little salmon and Oswego. Thanks in advance!

The "old school" way to go about things is dock walking and talking to captains. And in my opinion is a great way to start  The other suggestion is to call or email and see what kind of response you get. If you were local I would be able to direct you a bit better but Im on the opposite end of the lake. 

Feel free to use my club's data base to reach out to some local captains https://lakeontariocharterboatassociation.com/

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 7:39 AM, Legacy said:

The "old school" way to go about things is dock walking and talking to captains. And in my opinion is a great way to start  The other suggestion is to call or email and see what kind of response you get. If you were local I would be able to direct you a bit better but Im on the opposite end of the lake. 

Feel free to use my club's data base to reach out to some local captains https://lakeontariocharterboatassociation.com/

That’s how I got on a boat back in the day. With it almost being off season I will probably try seeing what kind of response I can get through websites. Just signed up for my 6-pack license so maybe that will help get on a boat assuming I pass. Thanks for the response!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...