December Keuka smallmouths ?

guff

Did very well on Keuka in November but can not seem to get any results in December. Am just diving into casting for smallmouths so need to get all info I can. Old fishing spots in November are not producing this month. Wondering if I should be spending more time searching and what areas would be best. 

Could just be that the water is getting too cold imagine.. SMB will hit in cold water- 40 degrees or so, but they are not really "ice water" fish like lakers and simply become  a lot less active and less aggresive the colder the water gets.. Why not try some of your November 'hot spots",working out somewhat deeper and a lot slower.. I would try  jig heads with various plastic  body styles and colors working slow around rocky bottom,, This time of year, SMB are more likely to be grubbing  slowly around the rocks looking for sculpins or crayfish, than wasting energy  racing after  mid water bait fish, small perch etc... I caught SMB this year until about the 3rd week of Nov, but they shut down very quickly after that, but thats in the river not lakes... SMB hit all year in Finger lakes, but lets face it, that water is cold and not every day is going to have  a hot bite.. Slow down, and go deeper is the only advice I have....

Posted (edited)

Thanks for info bulletbob. Sounds like I should cool my heels in December. Mid November was such a HOT bite I guess I was hoping it would continue.  Sounds like slow and steady and deeper is the December tactic.

Edited by guff

If available, try putting a live minnow or nightcrawler, on a hair or marabou jig... Bass, both largemouth and smallmouth LOVE live bait, and will hit live natural  bait  better  in real cold water than they hit artificials... bob

Live bait is food, and  fish seem to know that instinctively.. They will try and eat it, because its food and not dancing up and down on bottom or racing through the water in an unnatural straight line... Lures are great when fish are active and aggressive, sometimes better than bait... However  over the years I have found that fish will hit bait bait in cold water,  where at some point they will  just not hit any lure at all...bob