Shore casting setup

What are people using for a spinning rod and reel setup for casting from shore, pier or waders for browns etc. 

looking to upgrade

11 minutes ago, Smat64 said:

What are people using for a spinning rod and reel setup for casting from shore, pier or waders for browns etc. 

looking to upgrade

10'6 6-12lb medium light okuma sst, Think i have a shimano sedona or sahara for the reel with 15lb mono to an 8lb floro leader when fishing for trout and 14lb when fishing for salmon. Normally throwing Rapalas in current and casting spoons and spinners around river mouths.

My son uses 15# braid to a barrel swivel and a 4-5' of 10# flouro leader - good castability with braid for that application.   He uses a 9'6" 6-12# rated rod and an older 2500 size Daiwa SS spinning reel that holds plenty of braid and has a smooth drag.

16 minutes ago, AnglingAddict said:

My son uses 15# braid to a barrel swivel and a 4-5' of 10# flouro leader - good castability with braid for that application.   He uses a 9'6" 6-12# rated rod and an older 2500 size Daiwa SS spinning reel that holds plenty of braid and has a smooth drag.

Line capacity and a smooth drag are big for salmon and trout with the fast and long runs. I enjoy using braid when i am able too but whenever it starts to get cold the line will freeze very quickly meaning mono is the only option. If your only fishing fall and spring running braid is a good choice.

He's only shore casting in the spring - winter he's too busy fishing steelhead so for him never really below freezing when he is shore casting - agree braid absorbs water and will make a mess if it gets below freezing.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. Finally made it out with new gear. 6pm. 4 browns in 1/2 hr. Got a snag and after a re tie waves got too big. 

went with the okuma sst 9’-6” medium with a shimano 3000. 15lb power pro.  

long casts with a 3/4oz cleo and worked great to land the fish. 

IMG_0899.png

• Like 1

I just got a Lamiglas X-11

8’6 M 8-12# 1/4-3/4oz

Put on a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 3000 with 20# hi viz braid . Added a 6ft 10# mono bumper (for a little shock absorption) to 10# fluro leader . Switching between 3/8oz Steelhead Slammers and 2/5 oz Little Cleos or 1/2oz Kastmaster . Going out this weekend to some mouths to see if the browns will play .

Should I upgrade length ? Will be casting from piers/surf .

Im testing only a 30” leader so i have no knots to deal with going through eyelets or reel. Love it so far but do try to fish dirty water. I also put a mini spro swivel in between so there are no braid to flouro knots. 

Briad-swivel-floro-snapswivel for everything. 

usually from waders its hard to keep it off the bottom.