best line for planer boards

I have a Saltist 30H on a Fish USA 8'6" rod that I wish to use for planer boards.  Should I use braid or steel?  Was planning on 20lb backing.  Am I right that the backer should run to the release, so as to prevent damage to the chosen line?  Rather confused on how to rig the setup.  Thanks for any advice.

I think letting us know what your goal depth wise or what you want to achieve would best help us help you. Generally boards should be clipped onto monofilament line(some people do run braid though). Mainline can be copper, weighted steel, lead core, and a leader on top of that. Give us some more specifics I’m sure people can chime in. Also I’m assuming you’re referring to inline boards

Edited by 4426

On 4/27/2024 at 10:56 AM, Big Tom said:

I have a Saltist 30H on a Fish USA 8'6" rod that I wish to use for planer boards.  Should I use braid or steel?  Was planning on 20lb backing.  Am I right that the backer should run to the release, so as to prevent damage to the chosen line?  Rather confused on how to rig the setup.  Thanks for any advice.

20lb backing is fine, and yes you want to hook the mono into the in-line. Not the wire or leadcore.

Posted (edited)

If you run - backing, braid, LC then leader - you will be able to get more LC options (colors) on the 30. I have had no problem with the braid slipping in the board release, just add a wrap around the clip if needed. 

Edited by Netbender