Public Land Tom

Posted (edited)

After some bad luck my first two times out, (hung up Tom and another hunter shot at a bird I was working) I got back after it in a new spot and scored on a beautiful NY public turkey. 

Struck him owl-hooting for the road and then closed 800 yards fast to get into his bubble. He was fresh off the limb and once I got to 120 from him I sat down and did two light yelp sequences. He hammered at both. Then I went to no call and straight scratching. He hammered at every scratch and closed fast. I picked the gap in the brush that he ended up showing in because I really focused on hearing drumming! First time I’ve ever heard it! Ended with a 42-yard bang flop from the 410. Dead by 6:13! Being aggressive paid off big!

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_9016.jpg

Edited by idn713
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, dremarquis said:

yes, great story. And to turkey hunt with a 410 - wow, that puts a limit on things!

Congrats!

You know shockingly, with TSS and the really wonderful small companies that are custom loading tss for 410, it really isn't a challenge at all. I have run this 5lb turkey gun that is as quiet as a .22 for three years and killed 5 turkeys with it. I have had no issues and have never once been concerned when the trigger pull was about to happen. Now I have done extensive pattern testing, and know exactly what my gun can do (over 25 in the head and neck at 55), so I feel great using this little pea shooter. I am honestly so on the sub-gauge train that I cannot believe that anyone uses a 12 gauge in the turkey woods anymore (in regards to TSS). The 40-yard pattern tests of 12 gauge #5 lead and 410 #9 TSS aren't even close. The 410 blows the 12 away!