Bad news for Mass fishermen

Yep we said it when we first heard of the lake closings in the Berkshires,that Quabbin would be next.

So here is what I have to say

......SCREW MASSACHUSETTS. I can't wait to get out of that rotten,over taxed corrupt,weirdo infested state.They could care less about sportsmen.

The powers that be,are more concerned about protecting the rights of criminals,illegal aliens,and gay marriage,than your right to fish lakes that you paid for through license fees.

I will never buy another Ma.license.As far as I'm concerned they can close up the dept of fish and wildlife.28.00 bucks for a resident fishing license to catch 10" brown trout?Not for me.

And you can bet your a$$ that there are a whole bunch of earthy crunchy loons,that are actually happy, that this overblown Zebra mussel incident is taking place.It gives them a lot of ammunition to keep places like the Quabbin closed,something that they have wished for for years.I wouldn't be surprised if it never opens back up.

They can fall back on the excuse that Zebra mussels are too much of a risk.Just wait,these will be the words that spew out of their mouths.

Freaks,and weirdos,the whole lot of them,from the Governor on down.

Where you going to move NY ? is that better polotically ?

The whole country is bad right now with our comander in cheif

do you fish the Q ? if so I never see 10" browns, none in there anymore. But the LL's are awesome this year, many fish 5 to 7 lbs, which is good for us. Still banging them at 2 to 3 colors.

Are they going to wash & sterize the birds that fly from lake to lake to make sure there are no mussel larve on them either. I'm sure there are other ways as well. One way or another they will get in there. Face the facts, figure out what your going to once they're there.

i feel the same way but, the Q really isn't suited for Zebras, very high acid levels and no calcium for the shell growth. The mass biologist don't think they can get established anywhere but in the feeder stream mouths where the water might have the minerals for them. but we will see over time. I think over time they will adapt to the conditions and infest it.

From the maps I see on zebra infestation it looks like they are follwing the bodies of water like whitetails do.

it's just an over reaction to a potential issue, no different than closing after 9/11, they panic big time.

They are talking about us having to sterlize our boats, then wait 2 days to launch, once you come off the res they will seal your boat to your trailer so you can launch again without washing it agian.

THey had divers in there the last 2 weeks and found nothing at all.

Yep we said it when we first heard of the lake closings in the Berkshires,that Quabbin would be next.

So here is what I have to say

......SCREW MASSACHUSETTS. I can't wait to get out of that rotten,over taxed corrupt,weirdo infested state.They could care less about sportsmen.

The powers that be,are more concerned about protecting the rights of criminals,illegal aliens,and gay marriage,than your right to fish lakes that you paid for through license fees.

I will never buy another Ma.license.As far as I'm concerned they can close up the dept of fish and wildlife.28.00 bucks for a resident fishing license to catch 10" brown trout?Not for me.

And you can bet your a$$ that there are a whole bunch of earthy crunchy loons,that are actually happy, that this overblown Zebra mussel incident is taking place.It gives them a lot of ammunition to keep places like the Quabbin closed,something that they have wished for for years.I wouldn't be surprised if it never opens back up.

They can fall back on the excuse that Zebra mussels are too much of a risk.Just wait,these will be the words that spew out of their mouths.

Freaks,and weirdos,the whole lot of them,from the Governor on down.

Right their with you John, I can't wait to retire and move to NY. Maybe settle in the Olcott/Oak Orchard area.

Where you going to move NY ? is that better polotically ?

The whole country is bad right now with our comander in cheif

do you fish the Q ? if so I never see 10" browns, none in there anymore. But the LL's are awesome this year, many fish 5 to 7 lbs, which is good for us. Still banging them at 2 to 3 colors.

Scott,

You're correct in saying that NY,is as politically screwed up as MA.,but at least in Western NY,I wouldn't be surrounded by nearly, as many left wing earthy crunchy nuts,like back home.

As for the Quabbin,I fished it for more years than I can remember.I was one of the regulars at Gate 8 for at least twenty years.Fished it every single weekend,both Saturday,and Sunday,from open to close,and would say that I know that area,as well as anyone who fishes it.

Quabbin is a beautiful place,I caught lots of nice lake trout and salmon there.

My biggest laker, was 18lb2oz(biggest of the year 1991)and others of 16,14,12,11 lbs. and many over seven.My biggest landlock was a hair under six pounds.

My gripe isn't with the Quabbin,or any other lakes,but with the state.You can rest assured that the rights of sportsmen in MA.,will always take a back seat to everything else in the state,including all the stuff I mentioned,in my previous reply.

AS for small browns,if you spend any time fishing lakes like South pond,Big Alum,Little Alum,Goose Pond ,and lots of others,you'll find plenty of 10" Browns and small Rainbows.

New York,far exceeds Massachusetts in Quality fishing and hunting,including the size of the fish,and the quantity and condition of their boat ramps and shoreline facilities.

Well john I'm not going to disagree with anything you have said. For me I only fish the Q in Ma. I have a Q only rig that hasn't been put in any other body of water, and I think your right, they just don't want us out there at all.

More trips to NY coming soon !

Now I just need a new boat

Did the same thing for many years Scott.It was the only place that i fished,and like you,I had a few boats dedicated strictly for the Quabbin.

We always occasionally fished Ontario,and Champlain,along with Winnipauskee,and Rangeley.

Finally decided to buy a bigger boat,and keep it on lake Ontario.Ever since then,I've put my time into fishing the big pond.

I do miss the Quabbin at times,but no longer own a small boat.I just like the lack of all the stupid rules that go along with fishing it.On Ontario,I can launch when I want fish where I want,wade in the water when I launch the boat, no barrels to worry about, and catch big fish,and all kinds of different species in the same place.

It would be nice if Ma. would separate the politics from The fishing,Places like Quabbin and Wachusett should be open to fishing all the time.The excuse that it's a drinking supply first is a poor one.

Lake George in NY is also used for drinking,and the water is very clean and clear,yet it has tons of fishing and recreational boating.

Ok,I'm done complaining,so back to fishing.

What Gate do you fish out of?On gate 8, I always did well on salmon along the ledges,and the east side of the island,Lakers were of course,always predictable along the barrels,and in that stretch of 78 to 100' water from the point just north of the yellow rock on the prescott side,and along the eastern shore,up to the flats.

I hear the smelt have come back,that's a good thing.A few years ago,we were catching some nice salmon right on top,even in July.They were way out of temp,but they were feeding on some good size schools of baby white perch.

Have a good season on the reservoir,and enjoy the fishing.If you are ever up Olcott way shoot me a pm,if we have the space,your welcome to fish with us.

Thanks John, I do gate 31 all most all the time. Early on they fish are everywhere right out of the gate and as time goes on we move south, the Hop brook area has been great.

All the fish have fatten up quite a bit over the last 2 or 3 years. Smallies runnung at 4 lbs when before they were not so plentifull.

Not as many Lakers as they had us keep a bunch over the last few years, this is what I think brought the smelt back and then raised the wieght of all the fish. Best LL fishing in many years.

Yes the Smelt are back and in a big way as well as "TONS" of yellow perch balls all over the place.

WE have a meeting at the Windsor dam tonight at 7:30 to hear what the pol's are going to make us do next, hopefully it's within reason for most of us.

Good luck out on the Big pond, I should be up in a few weeks to the Sandy pond area.