Catch and release?

I think that may be backward Nick, I dunno? Actually, I was only speaking about one year class, those being the kings stocked in the spring of 08. Normally I wouldn't care so much. Just my opinion & to each his own. I know we did our part releasing them ;)

Certainly not pointing anyone out but,

I agree with Rod but I take it one step further. If it is small even if it is legal release it, if you are not going to cosume it release it. As Captains of our boats you have a responsibility and these are our fiends and family not paying customers.

Hunting and Fishing is a privaledge and a sport...NOT a license to KILL.

Shade

PS - I have been fishing out of Olcott for 4 years now and I do not think we seen more than 2 floaters.

I practice responsible harvest. I only take what I'm going to eat that day or the next. I take what I would call good eating size fish and release the bigger ones. My family and I all enjoy eating fish, but we aren't trying to fill the freezer.

Jeb1340, keep any Kings you catch in those streams. If there is any natural repo. there there is not much. There is a lot of it going on in the Salmon River and tributaries. In fact there is so much that the state is not sure how it will affect the lake population. All chinooks that are raised now get marked so they can get a better handle on it in the future. I saw a picture last year of the guys netting wild fingerlings in the stream and I could not believe how many there were. We usually don't keep any simply cause they don't taste like perch, :rofl: but if anyone wants to keep them, have at it. I do agree with you guys who say release the small ones. Those skippers will grow into 30 pounders in a couple years.

Hey Shade I think your a little mixed up or you don't hunt, that license is to kill or why would you hunt. As far as fishing goes we all have taken home a limit or to but got over that in a hurry.Catch and release is great but get tired of have it shoved in my face all the time. I think there's a fishing tournament nearly every weekend now and thats all catching. By the way Shade I'm not picking on you it was the comment about the license I though was funny. :D .

Lets not start a sh--t slinging match out of this guys. :)

WWIV,

My pint was just because the law alows us to take small fish does not mean we should all take small fish. The law also allows us to shoot any size deer you want if you have the permit to do so but why shoot button bucks or yearlings.

If you want the fishing to grow let the smalls guys grow to become big guys and if you want your hunting area to continue to excell practice conservation and eliminate the mature does and only shoot the 31/2 year old or 8 point or bigger bucks. Let the small ones grow.

Nobodies trying to shove anything in anybodies face or turn this into a slinging match either. You have the right when you buy your licesence to hunt and fish to the regulations set forth. If want to fill your box with limits of fish or shoot small dear on your doe permit then do so. All I am saying is on my boat and on my land if you get the invitation I do not allow small dear or small fish get taken period. I would never say anything to you or anybody if I see them with a small dear on their vehickle or a guy cleaning small fish.

This site allows us to voice our opinions and thats how e learn. We can not take this stuff personal. If someone asks you opinion and you give it there should be no hard feelings unless someone points you out personally.

Shade

I would love to release more, but I find that most of the hook ups are pretty nasty and I don't think it is humane to release something that won't make it. I have been considering a barbless spoon set. The other problem, however, is that any fish longer than 26" is not recommended to be eaten by the Ontario MNR due to contamination levels by children and very very rarely by anyone else. That means any good size fish is basically poison for us and dead if we release. What to do?

I counted 4 dead fish floating this past weekend on Friday and Saturday. I didn't get close enough to see that they were definitely salmon, but they were a good 10+ lbs. I probably contributed to the floaters this weekend as I went to release a king and it flopped out of my hands and smacked its head again the swim platform.

Stras... they can't be worse for you than the diet coke and twinkies I have on my desk right now :$

Nick