first time out of fair haven

we usually stay at selkirk and fish mexico bay, but this year we rented a house the week before labor day on little sodus with a dock. wife says 3 kids under 3 is too many for the tent camping thing. question is, where do you fair haven guys clean your fish? can you take the fillets off of the fish and dump the carcass overboard? we really don't want to do that and not even sure if its legal or not. also, hows the fishing in the area that time of year? really hoping to avoid alot of the traffic like in front of the salmon river and still catch some nice fish. thanks.

nick

SF - I haven't fished the area for quite a while, but there are a lot of posts from there. Just have to catch up on the reading. (Should be near the beginning of the run, depending on the weather.)

As for carcasses, no you cannot fillet the fish on the water anymore. You can gut it but no more than that.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Glenn, My oops. I'm wrong. :$ That's a proposed reg for upcoming yr. Mentioned at State of Lake meeting because guys were cleaning northerns up north on the ice & leaving carcasses on the ice.

Current regs - Skin has to be left on species not listed:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4026.html

(d) Special regulations for the cleaning of fish. No person, while upon waters of the State, excluding the marine and coastal district, shall possess:

(1) walleye, black bass, brook trout, lake trout or landlocked Atlantic salmon that have been dismembered or otherwise prepared for cooking or consumption beyond removal of the gills and viscera;

(2) other species of fish that have been dismembered or otherwise prepared for cooking consumption, except that the gills and viscera may be removed and such fish may be filleted, provided the skin is not removed from the fillet.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

thanks guys. i thought i remember reading a captain's reports out of oswego and it stated the catch was cleaned and bagged by the time they hit the dock. just had a little trouble trying to find the regs on it. no issue getting rid of a couple of skins.