Need a Place to Stay

OK, I'm not really sure where on the board I am supposed to post this. If it is not supposed to be here, maybe a mod could put my post in the right place.

From September 16-20 my group of guys always goes up to Wellesley Island State Park, sets up a few trailers and tents, launches a few boats and fishes the heck out of the place for a few days. Apparently due to State cutbacks, the park(s) are closing up almost all the campsites at that time. What they have open is the loop where the big motorhomes etc go. We don't want to go there. We are not loud, destructive or immoral, but we are not choirboys either! We have campfires, we drink bourbon, smoke cigars, burp, fart and stay up late. :beer: Our group has a different agenda than the good folks that stay in those areas and we don't want to be a problem. All the State Parks in the area are doing the same thing that time of year, so our trip is getting tough to arrange.

I am playing with idea of renting a camp for those few days where we can just have our guys only vacation, launch our boats, have our campfires, clean up after ourselves and leave it as we find it.

We are looking for a place around the Wellesley, Clayton, A-Bay area. We have 5 boats, two trailers, several tents and one dog. We fish all day, clean our catches and eat them at night, have our fire, get up and do it again until we have to leave. Many of us are rental property owners ourselves, just not up there. We know how to be good tenants!

Does anyone have a place they might consider letting us use, or do you have any suggestions on how to find one? I looked on the internet, but I keep finding these places that look like trophy homes. I mean some of them go so far as to tell you that you can't wear shoes in the house, you can't have a fire, you can't have fishing poles around the house or dock! To each his own I guess. Sure doesn't sound like a vacation home to me though.

I need to talk to my fishing brothers. You guys know what we are doing, and what this trip is. We're harmless. We're just a bunch of brothers, fathers, uncles and good friends that like to get together every year and fish. Anybody got a way to find a camp we can use?

Appreciate the help,

Grady

Grady

Try these guys the owners are Al and Leslie they are very nice people and I stay there every year. I would call them nice garage sale furniture kind of cottages and they do have a couple of burn pits to have a fire at night. The docks are nice and his prices are reasonable.

Mils Cottages and Motels 1-877-516-9684 Just make sure you tell them what you need and I am sure they will let you know if they can help you. Also they dont have a launch but there a few in the area close by that Al can point you to.

Here is a link http://www.milscottages.com

Good luck

This is an edit Grady I miss read your post and missed the dog thing Mils can not accomadate dogs and I dont think they allow campers but the cottages might work. Right next door to Mils is a place called Lanzs I think they accomadate trailers but not sure about camp fire or dogs here is the link http://www.lanzs.com/ I have not stayed there so i am not sure about the grounds or the owners.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I have been looking at the websites of some of the various places. Some might work, some can be ruled out due to their pet policy, and some look like seasonal types, but they are up there and they are starting points. I'll be calling some tomorrow.

Gene, the dog is coming all the way from Dallas, Texas for this trip! I'm going to find a way to make that work. For this outing, I may have to look at places other than those you suggested, but I very well may revisit your suggestions in the future. Do you ever go up there in the winter for ice fishing?

Grady

Grady

No I do not ice fish but Al at Mils says they catch there biggest pike through the hard water so it sounds good. I had a very harry experience on lake erie growing up when I was ice fishing and I do not like the hard water since. Long story short lake erie is a big lake when your 13 years old and a heavy fog rolls in and then you fall into a hole and get wet. So I stay on land during the winter and chase the animals around. Good luck on your trip I am sure it will work out by the way check out french creek marina camp grounds i think they are under the 1000 island clayton link I posted they seem like a place that might work. The dog thing might be tuff very few places other than state parks allow them up there because of liability.