autopilot for the "BLUE BUBBLE"

final flight

gonna put a pilot on the bubble and need some answers. she's a 16 ft. lonestar alum. semi-vee. 50 hp. four stroke. the steering system is a teleflex rack system. has anyone installed autopilot on this style of steering, if so what make, what model, how hard to install. i've been surfing to find out info. and the more i look the more confussed i get. all my electronics are lowrance if this will be an issue i would like to know the fixes for these issues. thanks rollie

Rollie, the Simrad AP-12 or 14 is probably the best bet but God help you if you need serious technical assistance or have a problem w/ the unit cuz service is not great!. It's not really that complicated a piece of equipment & you don't need to interface it w/ GPS etc to get most of what you need from it. You do need a certain amount of space behind the dash to fit in the helm which is basically an electric motor controlled by a computer chip, the chip is connected by a wire to a separate compass unit. You may need to change the teleflex cable too. Ask Hank at L&M about these units! If you see me at Meyers just come on over and you can get a quick sea trial!

Ditto on what Chowder says!!!!! It's a great unit providing nothing goes wrong!

Andy, would you believe I still haven't gotten my unit back! I sent it to them in mid July!

I have hydraulic steering so at least I'm not entirely out of thw water!