Disposing of fish carcass

NYS LAW states disposal ok outside 100 ft of shore (land)most drop remains about 1 mile offshore...the next day due to the fillet reg (fillet must have skin on for ID reasons and length of fillet must be longer than min.length of total fish for spiecies caught) it all goes back into the food chain..and i like to bring one carcass home to feed the local crows gotta family of 5 birds that always greet me in the driveway,well they sit on the wires and poop on the wifes car till i get home :lol: BUT AS ALWAYS BE SHURE TO DISCUSS ANY RULES OF THE DEC. WITH A DEC. OFFICER TO CLARIFY,, AS ANYONE (including me) COULD BE WRONG .....AND YOUR THE ONE WHO HAS TO EXPLAIN TO THE JUDGE SOMEONE ELSES BAD OR MISSINTERPATATION!!!!

Disposal reg is 100 ft min of the shoreline for all fish. Fillet must have skin on it so proper ID can be made. The min length reg only applies to Black Bass, Brook Trout, Lake Trout & Atlantic Salmon. On these you must leave fish intact so that overall length of the fish can be determined. i.e can't cut head & tail off. (you can gut it or gill it but must leave intact)

It was proposed at the last State of the Lake meeting by DEC that all carcass disposal be banned on the water. Didn't fly for this year but who knows about the next round.

As for "it all goes back into the food chain"...don't get me started. :@

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 2 weeks later...
off track what's the issue? He was probably over 100 ft from shore? Were you thinking that carcasses should not be disposed of in the bay or just not that close to the swimming hole?

Nick

I do not care how close he was to the "swimming hole" nor do I care that he disposed of them really BUT 100 ft offshore is 100 ft offshore and he was not 100 ft offshore. At least follow the rules

But then again I was probably in the wrong since I was in a sail boat right? :yes:

If you were indeed in a sailboat, then yes you were wrong :)

Sure was.

I got my captain license not to hang around Lake O chartering but to move boats south to the Caribbean. Like the 40' sailor that we are moving next week from Sodus Bay to NYC to Virgina to Bermuda and ending up in Saint Thomas.

OT - Now that is a dream job. Do you actually get paid for doing that? ;) (I'm jealous.) Taking the canal or the Seaway?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Boat transport you do get paid very well.

the one leaving sodus next week is a friend that retired from kodak is doing this trip for the winter so no money involved. Down the canal through oswego to albany/hudson to NYC. Next leg is inter-coastal to Virginia and then atlantic ocean. It will be about 3 months/2000 nm