Pier fishing salmon @ olcott

beckets

Hey guys I am a pretty inexperienced salmon fisherman, spend most of my time on Erie for the steelies. My father used to fish olcott every weekend from september through november or at least I thought. Im just wondering when is generally a good time to catch these fish staging out in front of olcott off the peers ? I appreciate it

Been fishing it since a young lad. One rod with a egg sack/skein on the bottom or under a float. The second rod I am hucking jointed orange rapalas, hot'n'tots or a spoon during the day, then a glow cleo at night. The fish bite or come into the pier in waves at about 4 hour intervals so be prepared to spend some time exercising your shoulder. I can't do "all-nighters" like I used to (ask my wife), so I will go out in the evening one hour before dark and fish until 11:00 or I will arrive at the pier at 2:30 am and fish until one hour after sun up. Ten foot spinning rod with 12# test mono with at least a 225 yards capacity reel. Best times are after the lake turns over bringing cool water in tight. Light N or NW winds are best followed by W then S or SW winds. I don't fish any type of east wind.....they just don't bite. Best weekends lately have been the second and third weekends in September. The old days, we used to catch fish as early as the third weekend in August.