Dipsy on Lead Core

smalltauk

Folks,

Newbie here... trying out the sport with what gear I have and need some advice. I've got a trolling rod typically used for stripped bass fishing. It's got about 300ft of lead core line with some amount of mono backing. I've got a Size 1 Dipsy set to 0 trailing a spin doctor and an atomik fly.

Is the depth chart that came with the Dipsy applicable even though I'm using lead core line?

I'm only using one rod, should I be going straight off the back of the boat or setting the dipsy to go off the side?

I go out of IBay and am trying to land a fish before the boat needs to be put away. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Smalltauk.

No the depth chart would not do you any good with dipsy on a lead core. I would suggest running the lead core on it's own with all the colors out and a watermelon NK 28 on the end. Do you have a mono leader on the lead core/ If not put about 40 feet of mono on the end of the core and run it that way. If you go out near dusk that rig should take some hits. Good Luck

you ant gonna have a dypsy left after your first big hit pulling it on lead.for the price of a dypsy ,spin doctor and fly you can buy a 300yd spool of power pro 50 lb test and land the fish too... trust me the lead will break put the dypsy on 2.5 setting and figure 3 to 1 ratio for depth at 2.5 mph,,,, last weekend pulling fly rig at 2.2 mph i was bouncing 105 ft bottom with 280 ft out with 30lb wire so if ya go slower than 2.5 it will dive 10 to 15ft deeper watch the tip for bouncing ...also keep dypsy release as loose as you can (trips easy) for much higher % hookups use a 7 to 8 ft leader between dypsy and spinny for starters and keep the reel drag just tight enuf so the line dont creep out as your trolling....oh put the fly 22 to 24 in back from thespinny