olcott

beckets

When fishing the peers, do you still have decent success when the lake is a little rough like on a NE wind thats blowing pretty hard ? Its only supposed to be like 10mph winds tonight and overnight, was planning on coming up today but I know its windy so i was just wondering, anything would be helpful thanks

I've been fishing the Olcott Pier's since the mid-late 80's and I've had some of my best nights on the west pier when waves were crashing over. Miserable fishing conditions, but really seems to get the fish moving and active as opposed to dead flat calm. Maybe different on the east pier, but NW winds were always killer nights for catching fish on the west pier.

Calm SW wind nights the East Pier always seemed to to better, but I would guess that a NE wind would be good there as well. The problem with the East Pier is it is about 2 feet closer to the water line than the West Pier, so it becomes unfishable quicker once the seas start crashing over.

Tim

I don't like any east wind for pier fishing, but if I was fishing tonight I would fish between the piers because the high seas will probably push the fish in tight where they might see if the conditions are good enough to shoot the creek. My guess is they will not like the low flow and stop and hang between piers giving you opportunity. Can't catch-em if you aint fishing. Let us know how you did.

well guys, got to olcott friday night at 6pm and fished hard from the west pier until 2am. . .when I say that it was bad it is a huge understatement. . .cleos, skein u name it we tried it and maybe. . .MAYBE saw a total of 5 out of maybe 150 ppl who were in and out that night hook a fish and maybe 2 landed. The fish simply were not there, even the boats called it quits early, must not have been marking fish out there. The lake was calm also. We booked it out of there back to erie for daylight sat morning and a fresh run came in and me and my bro pounded them so ? maybe the great lord was paying us back for our struggles up at olcott i dont know but man, was it bad