Cayuga, 10/23/09

Had a pretty good day out on the lake. Didn’t get the quality fish that Sean (Hookedup) did the other day but we were up the lake farther and didn’t go scouting once we started to catch fish (never leave fish to find fish,.. right?). That’s what my guest, Frisco keeps telling me. Well seen as he was my guest I went along with what he said and didn’t pull rank on him. I needed him to steer the boat `cause my autopilot pooped out on my last trip a couple weeks ago. Anyway we stayed with it in the hopes of knocking off a couple of those beauty rainbows but that never happened.

So anyhow our day was a 43+1 for 46er. No bows or browns. 25 Lakers & 18 LL’s and a +1. Now what in the heck is a +1.....I’ll get to that later. We launched out of Long Point and set up lines just as we cleared the shallows & headed north. Fished the East side up to the green can and doubled back south pretty much on the same course. Started catching fish in the 95' FOW off the college and it was pretty much steady until we knocked off. All the LL’s were short in the 15" to 17" range and were hitting spoons mostly but a few hit flies down 70' to 90' off the ball & out 210 to 240 on the dipsey . The lakers ranged from 17" to 27" and took spoons & flies, mostly flies. Both rigger & dipsey were taking fish but I think the dipsey may have popped a few more overall.

Ok, what about the +1. Well this was a first for me. Never caught one of these on a dodger/fly before and never heard anyone else mention it either. I may be giving away a tightly held secret and hope I’m not blowing it by giving this up...........My prize of the day (and maybe the season) is this beauty caught off the rigger down 70' over 80' - 115' FOW

M0LS9.jpg

Closeup of my prize

jU4a0.jpg

That's the end of my report and also the end of Lil' Buddy's season.

sounds like a great day!

I've never targeted perch but I caught a few last year...on muskie baits :lol:

different lures on different lakes each time and in each case the lures were just as big if not bigger than the fish were... and yes all were hooked in the mouth :D

go figure...stupid fish :lol:

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

if the perch will hit a flasher/fly maybe just maybe i could catch one on a minnow. i really need someone to show me how to get perch in open water from a boat. hard water i have good luck but from i boat i SUCK at it. maybe i'll try once more on tues if the wind is down so i can commission the new auto pilot after i get tee'd off.